Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell Dimension E521 Unit Questions  (Read 2816 times)

Ryuk

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Experience: Beginner
    Dell Dimension E521 Unit Questions
    « on: February 03, 2012, 05:14:41 PM »
    I had got a Dell Motherboard from one of my dad's novice tech friends down at where he works.  Thing is that it has one of those special front connectors.  Also, I dont know if the unit is good or not.  I recently got a new cpu for it a while back cause, the one had bent pins.  Also, I think that there was one missing some where on it.  I need the heatsink for the unit too.  Also, is there a way to use it with out having the Dell Case?

Darthgumby

Beginner
      Re: Dell Dimension E521 Unit Questions
      « Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 01:32:25 PM »
      Yeesh, a lofty question you have.  I'll try and answer some of it.  First of all, no you do not need a dell case for the motherboard.  motherboards come in standard sizes and should fit in most cases.  Secondly - each motherboard is only compatible with specific models and speeds of processors, and they cannot have any damaged pins on them.  This requires some research, but it's best to look up the processor slot online and see if you can find a match for your motherboard model.  You do need a heatsink/fan, but those do come standard depending on the processor slot on the motherboard.

As far as special front connectors, any case will have connectors to their power switch, HDD light, Power LED, etc.  Each motherboard will have pins specific to these connections, but again they are basically standard as in each case will have the connectors and each motherboard will have the pins.  Again you will need to look up the motherboard to see where these connectors should go.  PC makers have kept things pretty standard throughout the years with how parts work with each other and connect, so with enough practice and know-how you should be able to get this working.
      There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that the ship has sailed, and that only a fool will continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool.

Ryuk

Topic Starter

Adviser

Re: Dell Dimension E521 Unit Questions
        « Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 02:34:58 PM »
        We all ready knew that.  What I am wondering is if we cant use it with a standard case an where we can get a heatsink