Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Peculiar Problem with fan  (Read 2423 times)

cpm121

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Peculiar Problem with fan
    « on: February 28, 2012, 03:46:57 PM »
    Hi, I've just joined so bare with me. I have a computer with and AMD phenom 9650 processor and a GA M720-US3 motherboard. The rest is standard fare (hard drive, memory, etc) Lately, the processor fan had been problematic; when booting up it would start, stop and then a few seconds later it would twirl. The the computer would start up. Then, yesterday, the computer was not booting up at all, and the reason may be because the processor fan was not working, though the computer internal case fan was. The DVD just keeps blinking, and in the end I turned off at the mains.
    I bought a new computer fan and fitted it and exactly the same thing occured as the previous fan, so it was not the fan (I think!) Does anybody have any ideas how to deal with this situation and to find out where the fault is? It could be in the processor, the motherboard or the memory, but how does one check? There is no, nor has there ever been any beeping from the motherboard to check on the stage that the failure takes place.
    Has anybody ever experienced this sort of thing before and how did they deal with it? I don'w want to go buying new equipment (memory, motherboard (apparently, they don't have this motherboard anymore) only to find it was not the problem.

Raptor

Re: Peculiar Problem with fan
    « Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 03:50:41 PM »
    Hi, I've just joined so bare with me

Maybe if we get to know eachother a little better and you buy me drinks first!

The DVD just keeps blinking, and in the end I turned off at the mains.

the computer was not booting up at all

fitted it and exactly the same thing occured as the previous fan, so it was not the fan

Sounds like the PSU needs to be replaced. Unless you have experience with a multimeter, your only way of telling is by just replacing it with one that works well.

Not sure what your specs are but you probably shouldn't go lower than 500W.

Salmon Trout

Re: Peculiar Problem with fan
    « Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 03:53:06 PM »
    Fan headers can die; if there is not a spare fan header you could try something like a Zalman Fan Mate but this will be no good if the motherboard is set to halt if the cpu fan reports zero RPM, and you can't disable that setting in the BIOS. In that case you have a dead motherboard.