Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IP Address and Internet History  (Read 5785 times)

mrlou

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

IP Address and Internet History
    « on: March 20, 2012, 11:18:58 AM »
    Can anyone advise what they know about what it would take to remotely search someone's Internet history from a remote computer? I know that an ISP keeps detailed records of pages visited for each subscriber. That is, they, the ISP, can look up by your IP address what pages you have visited and so forth. But is there a way for a outsider to get this information assuming you have the target computer's IP address. I know the police can get this but only through the ISP and after a search warrant has been filed. I would appreciate any feedback including hypotheticals.

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: IP Address and Internet History
    « Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 11:44:09 AM »
    But is there a way for a outsider to get this information assuming you have the target computer's IP address.
    There is, but I just want to make clear that...
    http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=58736.0
    [We will not help with] ...hacking into a program or service...

I'm not exactly sure what your motives are; sorry if I sound offensive...
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
    Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 12:00:04 PM »
    Yeah, sorry - this isn't something we're comfortable helping with.

mrlou

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 11:57:17 PM »
      I'm not offended. My motive is that I suspect a coworker of mine is spending some time on extremists/hate Websites. I think this because he has used terminology I know is used on these sites. I'm just curious if he is in fact visiting this/these sites. Personally, I wouldn't want anyone to do this to me but I figured if it is possible and easy, and if people can/are doing this to me then why not participate in the game? I don't know of any laws against it and if I did, I would lose the thought immediately. I am definitely not looking to hack into anyone's computer. On the contrary, I was hoping to find out if the data is somewhere else besides the individual's computer where it can be viewed. I read the computerhope link you sent and appreciate the feedback, and understand and appreciate your positions on not telling me. Can you at least tell me how hard this would be or what skill level it would take? BTW, I am not "the coworker" if you were curious. I'm not doing the old "I have a friend with this problem" routine. I am just a computer science student hoping to gain a better understanding of the various trails left across the Internet.