Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot connect to one specific website  (Read 32273 times)

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Cannot connect to one specific website
    « Reply #30 on: March 02, 2012, 04:34:01 PM »
    My firewall can see MAC addresses and I believe it can 'stop active responses' if I paid for the full version. (Call me cheap LOL)

Perhaps your different OS browser doesn't send as much info when you make a http request howzer?
    Same could be said for pings as well.

It seems to me that if you can get to the site via a proxy then there's something about what is being sent from your computer that the site refuses to respond to.

I'd email them if only to remove this as a possibility.

Raptor

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2012, 04:48:06 AM »
    This is not possible. I only get 1 IP from my ISP and the rest of my network is on a private subnet through NAT. If it were MAC address related then my PC would not connect with linux.

There must be something in windows or something preventing me.... but what?

You seem to not have answered one of my posts on page 2..

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #32 on: March 03, 2012, 04:40:41 PM »
    Yes, and he has not said anything about doing a MalWware scan.
    You should check your computer for one of those sneaky DNS Changer malwares that modify system in order to redirect most of the victim’s traffic to the services attacker needs. The one we are talking about, Rove, has managed to infect around four millions of computers since the beginning of 2008. With its help, scammers get unlimited power over the compromised machine – they can replace download requests for a certain software, reorder search results and even exchange the ads that are displayed to you.
    You should check your PC for DNS Changer malware

howzer

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
    « Reply #33 on: March 04, 2012, 12:41:52 AM »
    Exactly which question? I stated in the original post about ipconfig /flushdns. The ethernet is a realtek one integrated in the motherboard. I have tried completely uninstalling the device and reinstalling with newer drivers. I statically assign IPs on my network, but it makes no difference what configuration I use. You appear to think I have a local DNS problem, when I feel I have shown it is not a DNS issue.

Yes, and he has not said anything about doing a MalWware scan.
    Did I not? I have run numerous, and have stated as such. I cannot even reach the site with its IP address, how is this a DNS malware issue?
    « Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 12:54:03 AM by howzer »

GlitchPC

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2012, 12:53:40 AM »
    I have run virus/other scans using MSE, malwarebytes, superantispyware, ESET online scan. Nothing of significance has been found, and am still having the problem

What do you mean here?  "Nothing of significance"?

If all normal means of trying to get this computer to access a certain web page have failed...shouldn't that be telling you something?

Begin here:  Read this before requesting malware removal help

howzer

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
    « Reply #35 on: March 04, 2012, 12:54:36 AM »
    What do you mean here?  "Nothing of significance"?

If all normal means of trying to get this computer to access a certain web page have failed...shouldn't that be telling you something?

Begin here:  Read this before requesting malware removal help
    Nothing of significance, as in no trojans, spyware, viruses, anything found beyond typical tracking cookies. What more can I run?

GlitchPC

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2012, 12:58:36 AM »
    My firewall can see MAC addresses and I believe it can 'stop active responses' if I paid for the full version. (Call me cheap LOL)

Perhaps your different OS browser doesn't send as much info when you make a http request howzer?
    Same could be said for pings as well.

It seems to me that if you can get to the site via a proxy then there's something about what is being sent from your computer that the site refuses to respond to.

I'd email them if only to remove this as a possibility.

You haven't replied to this, either.

howzer

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
    « Reply #37 on: March 04, 2012, 01:04:01 AM »
    You haven't replied to this, either.
    I am currently in correspondence with the system administrator, but even she feels it is unlikely that the problem could possibly be on their end, given that other computers on my network can access the site (no IP ban) and that linux on the same computer can reach the website. She is willing to work with me on this problem though:

I do not know of anything on the server that would prevent you from reaching the site (but I of course, could be wrong).  I suppose it's possible you could be listed as one of the Evil Monsters (machines that have been identified as attacking our systems) on my firewall, but I am assuming from your comments before that the other computers in your network (which can access the site) appear to come from the same external IP.  Nonetheless, do you know the external IP of your machine?   (Go to speedtest.net, look down in lower left corner)    Is it the same for the other machines that can reach the site?

Which browser(s) have you tried?
    Is it possible you could have accidentally added it to the list of "Restricted sites" (in Internet Explorer: Internet Options > Security)?

Do you have a firewall on your machine?  If so, have you checked it's settings?

Can you ping www.ee.hawaii.edu  ?
    Can you ping 128.171.61.135   ?
    If not, can you ping yahoo.com  ?

Can you browse to http://128.171.61.135/index.php     ?
    Can you browse to http://128.171.61.135/index.html    ?   (Should just say "It works")

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this, whether it's your machine or mine!  Ultimately what we learn may help others.

I have relayed the exact same information to her, but it so likely appears to be a problem specifically on my OS/hardware...

I just feel that the likelihood of it being some random setting or error somewhere is higher than some random malware blocking 1 obscure server among several school servers... I won't say that I'm ruling out the possibility, but I'm not sure what I can do beyond what I have already done to eliminate malware as the definite cause.
    « Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 01:14:42 AM by howzer »

Fed

• Sage
      « Reply #38 on: March 04, 2012, 01:56:51 AM »
      It sounds like you are on a winner with the site's admin howzer.
      I agree if you can browse every other site on the planet aside from this one then it's highly unlikely to be a virus or dns issue and a full virus cleanup does take a fair bit of time.

Can you browse to http://128.171.61.135/index.php     ?
      Can you browse to http://128.171.61.135/index.html    ?   (Should just say "It works")
      So what was the outcome of the above?

Fed

• Sage
        « Reply #39 on: March 04, 2012, 02:11:19 AM »
        Just an after thought, did you make the site's admin aware of your trouble shooter results?
        Troubleshooting was unable to automatically fix all of the issues found. You can find more details below.

Problems found

website (www.ee.hawaii.edu) is online but isn't responding to connection attempts.
        To me that says it all, DNS is good, your browser has sent a html request but the site is not responding, nothing wrong on your end.

howzer

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
        « Reply #40 on: March 04, 2012, 02:24:29 AM »
        So what was the outcome of the above?
        I cannot reach either page (both time out).

I have extended most/all info that I have presented in this thread to her including the troubleshooter outcome. We'll see what she has to say. I'll be quite surprised if it turns out to be on the server's end :)
        « Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 02:38:28 AM by howzer »

GlitchPC

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2012, 02:38:50 AM »
        Just for kicks and giggles...

Could you, please, do the following for us?

Go to your Network Connections/Local Area Connection Properties on the problem PC and post screenshots of the following:
        • Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties
        • Advanced TCP/IP Settings/IP Settings
        • Advanced TCP/IP Settings/DNS
        • Advanced TCP/IP Settings/WINS
        • Advanced TCP/IP Settings/Options/TCP/IP Filtering/Properties

Since this is a Windows 7 machine...and mine is currently not with me...I'm not sure of the correct paths to those settings, above.  However, I'm assuming you are...and can provide us with the necessary screenshots.

Thanks, in advance...

GlitchPC

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2012, 02:57:52 AM »
        In addition...I have done some research and may have a solution but, this involves editing the C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file.

Take a look here:  http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/14510-cant-access-website-2.html#post1389200

I'm not sure if you have already tried this...but, it can't "hoit".   ;)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #43 on: March 04, 2012, 03:04:09 AM »
        GlitchPC,
        There are a large number of things he has not done.
        For one, he never gave  specific information about the machine he has. Or I missed it.

He can physically remove the Ethernet adapter from the machine. Then poser up without it. Then shut down and install a different make of Ethernet adapter. Install new drivers. Do the Newark wizard all over again. This should force Windows to do all settings over again.

He says he checked for malicious software. Did he? I said earlier that he should go to Super Dave in the virus section and go through the steps.

Newcomers forget, o never know., that AV software might catch about 80 percent of the stuff out there. The rest have to be caught by manual study of the logs of every bit of software that might have a unknown infection.

Another option is to restore his system to a date several days before this started.

Or, he could just re-install his entire OS. The would take less time than what he has spent on this thread.

If he can get to the site anyway, by using Linux, then there is not much point in trying to untangle this knot.

I guess a co-student did a prank on him.  ;D

GlitchPC

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2012, 03:15:22 AM »
        Geek-9pm (unusual username, btw)... ;)

Well...he has told us it's a Windows 7 machine in his first post.

As far as the network adapter...I'm not sure if he's updated the drivers, or not...I may have missed this in the topic.  Whether or not he's tried a different network adapter...I don't know this, either.

A couple of us have already referred him to the Malware section of this board, too.

I know I have already told him about System Restore...which he has replied, "This is not possible".

A prank?  Maybe...one never knows.   ;D