Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: bios  (Read 3373 times)

konair666

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    bios
    « on: March 14, 2012, 12:35:22 AM »
    hey everyone i have a Phoenix-Award bios but when i go to there page it redirects me to a third party site. they want me to pay 30 dollars to update my bios.... where can i get it free. my computer is only reading 896 mb of my 2gb that is installed. hoping updating the bios fixes it. but i dont want to pay for my bios update

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: bios
    « Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 01:07:02 AM »
    Never pay for BIOS updates and driver updates-they are developed by the manufacturer and are meant to be free.
    What is the make and model of your computer? If it is custom-built, what is the make and model of your motherboard?
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
    Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

konair666

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 01:10:31 AM »
      it is a gateway gt 5244e

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 01:46:06 AM »
      http://support.gateway.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=2906
      There are no BIOS updates for this computer...

One thing I noticed:
      http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/2900928/2900928sp2.shtml
      ..."shared video memory...max of 128 MB"
      May be related to the problem...
      First thing I would do is reset your BIOS with the CLR_CMOS jumper on your motherboard:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdp_L5IxaNI
      In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
      Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

konair666

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 01:56:36 AM »
        ya i have not reset it yet but even when i put 2 gb in it it still reads 896 with 1gb it reads the same checked both slots and they both read the same amount so it tells me both slots work. im voing ro put a new graphics card in tom. i have but it just threw me off that it wont read it all. thought it wad the sheared memory when i had 1 1/2 gb in it so ill try to rest it tom cause im not fully sure how to do it. never really played with any bios before. thanks fir yhe help