Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: a stupid question  (Read 6617 times)

kymfvrs

a stupid question
« on: September 17, 2005, 04:09:52 PM »
i want to upgrade my windows me -- xp.

i have been told to install service pack one, this was recommened by compaq (after i paid for the advice)

my question is.... will this work? and where do i get it and do i have to pay for it and if so how much???

the end result i am trying to achieve is to upgrade my microsoft word that came with windows me.

thanks - kym

pcdoc4christ

Re: a stupid question
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 04:46:54 PM »
Kym:

For Microsoft Office 2003 you need Window 2000 with Service Pack 3 or Windows XP (with Service Pack 1 or 2 optional):

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822129#XSLTH3123121122120121120120

Microsoft Office XP is compatible with Windows Me, however:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/previous/xp/sysreqs.asp

You may purchase Office XP (used or never-been-used) at Amazon.com:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-51,GGLD:en&q=%22office+xp%22+site%3Aamazon%2Ecom

That way, you would not have to upgrade to Windows XP, but you would still get most of the cool features of Office 2003 in Office XP.

Regards,
Doc

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 04:50:38 PM »
i want to upgrade my windows me -- xp.

i have been told to install service pack one, this was recommened by compaq (after i paid for the advice)

my question is.... will this work? and where do i get it and do i have to pay for it and if so how much???

the end result i am trying to achieve is to upgrade my microsoft word that came with windows me.

thanks - kym

You could have gone here and get the advise for free.

You'll want either a full version of Windows XP Home or Professional or an upgrade of XP Home or Professional.

Both must be purchased in stores.

Both come with either no Service Pack, Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2.

Be certain that you buy a CD-ROM that has got Service Pack 2. This saves a lot of downloading.

The service packs are free, but Windows XP Home or Professional are not.

Then you are looking in the wrong direction. You can download the latest updates for your current version from Microsoft Windows Update.

If you are looking to go from one version to another (Eg. From Office 98 to Office XP) you will have to buy it in stores.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 05:03:28 PM by Raptor »

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 04:53:24 PM »
Good advice, M_2!

:)

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 04:55:58 PM »

What sort of Windows XP do you have Kym? Is it XP Home or XP Professional? Upgrade of Full version?

It's difficult to tell from her ambiguous grammar, Mac, but i think she was saying that she has Windows Me but was told she would have to upgrade to Windows XP before she could install Microsoft Office.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2005, 04:58:08 PM »
For all the hype about Office 2003, i don't see where it has much of an advantage over Office XP.  So, i'm standing by my advice to not upgrade to Windows XP.

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2005, 05:04:44 PM »
Good advice, M_2!

???

Let me guess. Merlin quickly removed his message again. Doesn't surprise me.

Oh, Doc, if you post. Edit your post if you wish to add something, don't post three times like Mac always does. This only overwhelms the reader and it makes you look rather unprofessional. (I.E: Post count matters?)

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2005, 05:39:54 PM »
And to boot ......if i wish to remove the answer i have given.....its my choice.....free world ......as most posters seek the answer and go ............this is the age of broardband/cable/sat net.

You sound like a teenager who was caught smoking pot and fingerbanging mary jane rottencrotch on your parents new couch.

Stop removing your messages. In the forthcoming example you were trying to discredit me by removing part of the continuity you had created.

If that was not the idea you had, well in that case you're just an idiot.

here  is a good example.

Merlins message stated something in the following manner:
You need CD writer perhaps?

Merlin. Why did you come back? I was so darn relieved when you *censored* buggered off. My guess is that you need to get a life and stop being such a child 'Ooh, I got bored with PCs' 'Ooh, perhaps that wasn't the reason'. Go see a shrink.

When you edit and are adding something does the poster get notified?

If they are interested, they will check back regardless of notification. Besides, not all people wish to be notified by E-mail through the forum. if that is what you mean.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 05:43:26 PM by Raptor »

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #8 on: September 17, 2005, 05:44:09 PM »
    No comment until this mumbo jumbo question is clarified.
    Does anyone really know what Kym is trying to do  ???

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2005, 05:46:57 PM »
    No comment until this mumbo jumbo question is clarified.
    Does anyone really know what Kym is trying to do  ???

It seemed perfectly clear to me.

You could have gone here and get the advise for free.

You'll want either a full version of Windows XP Home or Professional or an upgrade of XP Home or Professional.

Both must be purchased in stores.

Both come with either no Service Pack, Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2.  

Be certain that you buy a CD-ROM that has got Service Pack 2. This saves a lot of downloading.  

The service packs are free, but Windows XP Home or Professional are not.  

Quote:

Then you are looking in the wrong direction. You can download the latest updates for your current version from Microsoft Windows Update.  

If you are looking to go from one version to another (Eg. From Office 98 to Office XP) you will have to buy it in stores.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2005, 06:04:02 PM »
    Oh, Doc, if you post. Edit your post if you wish to add something ...

Yeah, i'm guilty as charged!  Several times i've gone back and edited one of my posts to make it more accurate (hoping no one caught the mistake in the unrevised post!)

I suppose it would be better to post a second time with the correction.  

:-[

[size=10]Perfect i'll never be; not till the day Christ's face i see.  

Then i'll be like Him in all His glory, and sing with our friends the same great story.

How He died for me His enemy, so together we'd always be.  

Then our words may express the treasure of His love beyond all measure.  :) [/size]

Sorry about the poor attempt at prose; i'll try to stick to trying not to give poor advice.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 06:29:59 PM by pcdoc4christ »

merlin_2

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2005, 06:10:54 PM »
    The reason why my posts are removed,if interested,someone had the answer to the posters question.......and no name calling the sign of an adult replying i believe........end message......

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2005, 06:16:48 PM »
    Sounds reasonable to me M-2!

Raptor

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2005, 04:26:06 AM »
    The reason why my posts are removed,if interested,someone had the answer to the posters question.......and no name calling the sign of an adult replying i believe........end message......

You're such a piss ant.

Yeah, i'm guilty as charged!  Several times i've gone back and edited one of my posts to make it more accurate (hoping no one caught the mistake in the unrevised post!

I actually meant the opposite. Edit your message instead of posting an entirely new one.  :)