Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: cant read CD device  (Read 2356 times)

robert lasiter

cant read CD device
« on: September 19, 2005, 12:12:02 AM »
Dell dimension 8300- just got this computer working again after an Unmountable Boot Volume error....all seems well except it cant read cd/dvd drive. it has power but no response.
computer isnt recognizing it.........i swapped it with a different one thinking that it was bad but this one does work either.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: cant read CD device
    « Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 12:20:26 AM »
    robert lasiter......check to be certain there is a good connection on the IDE cable at both the mobo and the cd drive ........if still no luck uninstall the device ........including any drivers associated with it .  then reboot to make sure nothing shows up in the device manager ........then shut down ......reinstall the cd drive ........reboot and see if windows sees it .
    You should see a message saying .......New hardware found ........... then you will be prompted to install the drivers or you will get a message saying ....the new hardware has been installed .

let us know
    dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 12:20:54 AM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

robert lasiter

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 08:40:42 AM »
    ok...but i cant find the device to uninstall.....where should i look?

robert lasiter

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 09:55:36 AM »
    well i got it fixed.........in the set-up under boot config, i had to set secondary slave drive from off to auto and.....there it was....thanks guys