Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hey guys having trouble Upgrading Win 98 to Win XP  (Read 4407 times)

utaker1987

Hey guys having trouble Upgrading Win 98 to Win XP
« on: September 18, 2005, 09:24:25 PM »
Alright, well, I thought I was going to be running Linux but my older brother still hasn't set the CDs i need, and he lives in England whereas i live in Massachusetts so my mother bought me a Windows XP upgrade with SP2 and I run it it goes for a while and gets to around 60 mins left where it says its updating my files and either the screen goes black or the install freezes. I have 128MB and 7274MB of free space and for some reason its just not going, any help from you guys?

GX1_Man

Re: Hey guys having trouble Upgrading Win 98 to Wi
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 03:53:48 AM »
And this is what kind of computer with what kind of hardware that was working fine until what???

Need more details

Mac

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 04:17:12 AM »
Your going to need more than 128MB of RAM to get XP to run well. How big is the drive?

If you have the '98 CD it is also MUCH better to do a clean install. You just need to re-partition the drive and re-format using ONLY the XP CD and you'll be asked to introduce your '98 CD as proof of using a previous MS OS.

Upgrading on top of '98 with older software and with your anti-virus program installed is asking for trouble.

Click on the link below for more info.

Did you do an XP compatability test before trying XP?

Is it XP Home or XP Pro because they are different and take up a different amount of space.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 12:21:19 PM by Mac »

utaker1987

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 08:59:32 AM »

Memory       128MB      128MB      64MB      
Ready. This system meets or exceeds Microsoft's recommended minimum of 128MB of RAM. PC World recommends 256MB or more for a better experience.

Processor (CPU)       700 MHz      300 MHz      233 MHz      
Ready. This system meets the recommended minimum of a 300-MHz processor or better.

Available Disk Space       C: 7.08GB      2GB      1.5GB      
Ready. This system meets the recommended minimum of 2GB free disk space.
More info | Check latest prices for disk drives

Video       1024x768,true color      800x600,high color      800x600,
256 color      
Ready. The current video resolution and color depth will provide a good user experience with Windows XP.
More info | Check latest prices for video cards

BIOS Date       12/01/00      01/01/2000      None      
Ready. The BIOS on this system was created after January 1, 2000. In most cases, systems with BIOS software this recent will be able to run Windows XP without problems.
More info

Operating System       Windows 98 SE             Win 98 for upgrade      

Ready. This system is running Windows 98/Me, which can be upgraded to Windows XP Home Edition or Professional.
More info

okay thats from the test, so i should kinda reboot my computer I guess with the Windows XP Upgrade CD in it? I saw it from another topic but thought I needed the Other CD not the upgrade.

As for my computer, its a computer my Uncle had made when he ran a Lan Lounge type of thing which didn't work out due to the huge computer boom but he gave me one of the computers. I kinda explained it in one of my other topics about the computer having no operating system and finally got Windows 98 on it but now I want to upgrade for College.

utaker1987

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 01:11:32 PM »
Where can i find a Memory Test?

I have no idea what I have...i know...i sound incredibly stupid but I have no idea if they are the same, how would i find out? Would i have to open it? Or is there a way to detect what i have? Utterly lost as noraml hahaha.

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 01:22:58 PM »

utaker1987

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 09:01:15 AM »
Okay update, I actually did upgrade to Windows XP it just took a few times and at a certain point i had to boot it from the CD-ROM when first starting and when I woke up it worked. Thanks a bunch guys.

Mac

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 12:22:27 PM »
Good news! Bet your Mother is pleased too.  :)

Good luck at college.

Population, planning permission, and resources control are good topics to study, as are diplomacy and the non-agression policies which accompany good diplomacy, plus crime and principally the root causes of crime.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 12:28:38 PM by Mac »