Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MS DOS 7 download?  (Read 55423 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: MS DOS 7 download?
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2012, 11:27:37 AM »
Offer's post proves nothing.
Right. The document has references to Computer Software. It includes the idea of Computer Rental and copyright issues.

It would make this thread more meaningful if specific issue were addressed. Specifically, can a person make a profit by offering downloads of software his does not own. Yes, people do it, but is it legal.

Example:
How long does a copyright last?
The term of copyright for a particular work depends on several factors, including whether it has been published, and, if so, the date of first publication. As a general rule, for works created after January 1, 1978, copyright protection lasts for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years. For an anonymous work, a pseudonymous work, or a work made for hire, the copyright endures for a term of 95 years from the year of its first publication or a term of 120 years from the year of its creation, whichever expires first. For works first published prior to 1978, the term will vary depending on several factors. To determine the length of copyright protection for a particular work, consult chapter 3 of the Copyright Act (title 17 of the United States Code). More information on the term of copyright can be found in Circular 15a, Duration of Copyright, and Circular 1, Copyright Basics.
http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-duration.html#duration
The above shows that presently the 7, 10  or 17 years rules are not the current law in the USA. (Others countries also)
The question "Can I do something illegal if it does not directly involve money" is so juvenile that it is not worth considering.
Now to the crux of the matter.
"Can anybody offer re-copied of old software that was abandoned."
Make a guess, but read this:
Abandonware are discontinued products for which no product support is available, or whose copyright ownership may be unclear for various reasons. Abandonware may be computer software or physical devices which are usually computerised in some fashion, such as personal computer games, productivity applications, utility software, or mobile phones.  ...
Abandonware. From Wikipedia
Of course, Wikipedia is not a legal authority. But does  provide a framework and a list of references.

Even if the copyright is not defended, copying of such software is still unlawful in most jurisdictions when a copyright is still in effect. Abandonware changes hands on the assumption that the resources required to enforce copyrights outweigh benefits a copyright holder might realize from selling software licenses.

References
    ^ a b "The Abandonware Ring FAQ". The Official Abandonware Ring. 2006. Archived from the original on 28 March 2007. Retrieved March 8, 2007
http://www.abandonwarering.com/?Page=FAQ
Is that enough?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2012, 11:33:49 AM »
The question "Can I do something illegal if it does not directly involve money" is so juvenile that it is not worth considering.

Indeed. Indecent assault, genocide, and breaking the speed limit are all illegal in civilised countries, and don't directly involve money.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2012, 03:11:55 PM »
4 - 3 - 2 - 1....
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

TheShadow

Hopeful

• Retiree in Florida
    • Yes
    • The Doctor
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2012, 03:27:38 PM »
Patio, it doesn't look as though you closed this thread, so can I ask a really dumb question?

Thank you,

Isn't  DOS included in every version of Windows?
If you format a floppy disk, for instance and ask for it to be made bootable, have you not just taken some of DOS off of the PC?
At least a small part of it is and will go wherever that disk goes. 
Just curious......

So I'm just wondering how much DOS a person really needs that they couldn't get from their own PC. 
I wouldn't even think of asking someone else for DOS.  I told you this was a Dumb question?

8)
Experience is truly the best teacher.
Backup! Backup! Backup!  Ghost Rocks!

Salmon Trout

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2012, 03:45:35 PM »
If you format a floppy disk, for instance and ask for it to be made bootable, have you not just taken some of DOS off of the PC?

Some (not all) versions of Windows have the capability of creating a bootable floppy disk that contains a (very) small subset of files from MS-DOS, the standalone single-user text based operating system whose last standalone version (6.22) was released in 1994. That small subset is just enough to boot the computer and if necessary access a CD-ROM drive. It is not the complete MS-DOS operating system, and I don't think the license for the Windows install that it came from allows the user to sell it or distribute it freely.

TheShadow

Hopeful

• Retiree in Florida
    • Yes
    • The Doctor
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2012, 03:56:37 PM »
Was selling or distributing a part of the OP's quest?  For Shame, if it was, but I didn't read it that way.

I have several PC's with Windows ME on them.  A floppy disk formatted on ME is great for a DOS utilities disk.  It's just full of all sorts of neat stuff.   And more DOS files from within ME can be added to the disk for added functions.

Oh well, those of us that know how, DO and those that don't, ASK.  Eh?

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?

8)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2012, 03:56:59 PM »
No. Non x86 versions of windows cannot seem to format a system disk from a floppy. (at least from the prompt, the /s switch for the format command now enables or disables short file name generation). I don't have a floppy disk to test, though. Actually looking back it seems like none of the NT lineage provides either a /S switch or a sys command for creating a system disk from the prompt.
At least a small part of it is and will go wherever that disk goes. 
Yes. But what is your point? The EULA for most software states you can install the program on a computer and has provisions for a portable, non-permanent installation of it. testing via a XP vm, format.com, at least since XP, does not support the /s switch, and there is no sys command to copy to said floppy either, making the floppy created from the SHFormatDrive() function nothing more than a portable boot disk. it cannot, however, be permanently installed to another machine using the facilities provided either by copying files from the original system or provided on the disk (which only has three files, iirc)

The DOS Setup floppies, on the other hand, are designed specifically for installing it onto the hard drive of a machine.

So I'm just wondering how much DOS a person really needs that they couldn't get from their own PC. 
Well, since XP (probably any NT windows system) and later only allow you to create a bootable floppy which can not then be installed to another hard drive, if all a person wants to do is use internal commands on FAT disks, without installing from that floppy, than it's all there. Of course, the DOS package consists of more than msdos.sys, io.sys, and command.com, but also external utilities like find, more, sort, edit, qbasic, scandisk/chkdsk, format, sys, deltree, mscdex, diskcopy, comp, fc, diskcomp, etc.

Of course for 9x it's a bit difference since you could create a working DOS environment on another machine by copying files from the C:\Windows\command folder and using sys on that other drive.

But, just because a Operating System gives you the first step in such a process (creating a boot disk) doesn't mean that it is condoning the extension of that allowance to "permission" to supplant those files to a completely different system.

I wouldn't even think of asking someone else for DOS.  I told you this was a Dumb question?
With the exception that, unless you have rather old, 9x systems, that copy of DOS is going to stay on the floppy since it doesn't provide the capability to make other disks system disks via format /s or the sys command- the DOS version of the boot disk is Windows ME iirc but Windows no longer has a C:\Windows\Command directory from which you could copy files; If somebody has Win9x then it's possible to transplant the underlying DOS system from that system to another, but that applies to Windows itself, too, which could meticulously be copied and reconstructed on another system. However to my understanding there is no provision that being able to move software using a floppy disk made it public domain.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2012, 04:07:58 PM »
Was selling or distributing a part of the OP's quest?
The assumption is that they want to download MS-DOS 7 so that they can distribute it to one or more machines. And since we don't know the goal, the fact is that anybody would be able to view any information given on the forum, so even if they just wanted it for some slipshod museum, somebody else could easily stumble upon this thread and follow the helpful directions to get a free copy of DOS, which would be distribution. At that point the forum becomes an accessory to a crime. Now one can debate the morality of the law behind that crime and argue against it until one is blue in the face, but that isn't going to make that law go away. If somebody feels strongly about copyright law and feel it is mismanaged, they should lobby their own government, not members on a forum.

I have several PC's with Windows ME on them.  A floppy disk formatted on ME is great for a DOS utilities disk.  It's just full of all sorts of neat stuff.   And more DOS files from within ME can be added to the disk for added functions.
From C:\Windows\command :)

of course, that basically constitutes a portable installation. You break the EULA if you then install that DOS (by copying format.com or sys and using format /s or sys) to another hard disk for the purpose of giving it a DOS installation. the FBI/CIA/whoever is not going to smash down your door, or anything like that, but it is against the license agreement, for which a breech of contract constitutes copyright infringement. Since that is illegal, it is thus outside the realm of advice that should be given or encouraged in the context of this forum.

TheShadow

Hopeful

• Retiree in Florida
    • Yes
    • The Doctor
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2012, 04:40:41 PM »
Oh the slippery slope! ::)

I just formatted a floppy disk under XP-Pro-SP3 and it came up as version "Windows Millennium 4.90.3000"

Then I formatted another floppy under Windows 8/CP/64 and it still came up "Windows Millennium 4.90.3000"
That was somewhat surprising.  Eh?

Where does DOS 7 come into play?

I can't say that I've ever seen it.

The last DOS that I actually 'Bought' was DOS 6.22

But that's now Ancient History.

8)

PS:  I just checked my DOS Utilities disk that was formatted on my Windows ME PC, , , guess what,,,,,"Windows Millennium 4.90.3000"
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 05:17:07 PM by TheShadow »

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2012, 06:04:50 PM »
I can't say that I've ever seen it.
There are things you have not seen
Google Boot to DOS 7
And see what they mean.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2012, 07:30:34 PM »
I just formatted a floppy disk under XP-Pro-SP3 and it came up as version "Windows Millennium 4.90.3000"
The version of the DOS subsystem used by Windows ME is DOS 8.0.
Then I formatted another floppy under Windows 8/CP/64 and it still came up "Windows Millennium 4.90.3000"

That was somewhat surprising.  Eh?
Not really, no. XP and later do not use DOS, but they include the basic components of the version supplied with windows ME, which itself uses the basic layout of the Windows 98 Emergency Boot Disk.

The version numbers come from the version numbers given by that installation of DOS via the "get DOS Version" interrupt. Also, if you run MSD on a boot disk formatted in this manner, it will indicate version 7.0 for Windows 95, 7.1 for a 98 boot disk, and 8.0 for ME. the ver command is set to return the Windows version, not the MS-DOS version.

I cannot check Windows 8 or any x64-version of windows to see if they allow it, but I have no reason to think otherwise now. Anyway, the boot disks are all the same, because they are merely image files that are found within DISKCOPY.DLL. Windows XP(and presumably later) takes the additional step of adding in empty autoexec.bat and config.sys files. The Image used is based on the Windows ME Emergency Boot disk. This can be confirmed because Undelete and Norton unerase can see and recover several files from the disk after you create a boot disk with XP and later. MSDOS.SYS on the disk contains ;W98EBD because the ME boot disk was in fact based on the Windows 98SE boot disk itself.

The original post. The very thing being talked about is a distribution of MS-DOS where MS-DOS 7 was teased apart from it's parent Windows environment (in this case Windows 95OSRB), and distributed separately.

PS:  I just checked my DOS Utilities disk that was formatted on my Windows ME PC, , , guess what,,,,,"Windows Millennium 4.90.3000"
the Get DOS Version interrupt returns 8.0 for the Windows ME DOS subsystem.