Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: is there a program like fakecd that will work under winxp  (Read 2976 times)

perfectmod

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    is there a program like fakecd that will work under winxp
    « on: March 29, 2012, 12:31:39 PM »
    I've been searching for the past 5 hours today and all i can find are requests for that feature or a standalone program.
    if anyone has ANY info on the subject please post it, or if you know how to confuse windows into thinking a virtual hdd is a virtual cd/dvd drive that will work to.

truenorth

Guru

Re: is there a program like fakecd that will work under winxp
      « Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 12:49:13 PM »
      Really not familiar with what you want but is this anything that will assist?
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MKX0GHiQtE
      truenorth

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 12:52:37 PM »
      There are plenty of programs that allow you to mount a disk image as a virtual CD or DVD. WinCDemu is one which allows you to mount a number of different disk image types (ISO, BIN, CUE, MDS, MDF, NRG) as well as VHD virtual disk images.

perfectmod

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 02:53:23 PM »
        Sorry i didn't provide accurate info, I'm working with a few files from a CD and i don't want to make an ISO (or any other disc image) just to test the minor changes.
        I also cant just edit the ISO directly cause I'm modding a PS2 game(translating it), witch will cause many problems.

i was thinking maybe i could use a file list that points to the files, specifies the order, and possibly other info and then mount that

the whole point is to avoid rebuilding the disc image as that will take time and space

and before someone says "piracy is bad and against the rules" i own the disc so its not piracy

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
          • Me
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 03:10:07 AM »
        If you put the files on a USB thumb drive, does that not give you sufficient CD-like functionality?  (I.e. Windows will see at as a removable drive, for starters.)
        Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos