Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 98 on 166Mhz pentium 1 with manual power supply plug?  (Read 17004 times)

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Windows 98 on 166Mhz pentium 1 with manual power supply plug?
« on: January 31, 2013, 12:15:35 PM »
Hello Computer World!,

I recently was going through some old stuff and found some left over computer parts. I ended up building a Old computer out of parts i found. Anyways i wish to use this computer as a simple DOS gamer for i still had my original hard drive with classic dos games. Anyways, this computer was all good to go. So i pulled out my copy of Windows 98 SE and installed it. It ran fine, found all my drivers and ran my games. However, the computer being an Pentium 1 166Mhz it still has one of those old power supply's that have the Actual Power plug on it. The power is not controled by the motherboard, there is a physical cord going to the power supply with the power. So naturally the OS should notice this and be able to set itself that when it prepares to power off, it should give me the screen saying.
"Its now safe to turn off your computer"
Instead it just hangs at the Windows 98 is shutting down screen and when i do power it off, next time i power it on it says
"windows has not been shut down properly the last time used" or something like that....

Any ideas on how to fix this?

hARDWARE
166 Mhz pentium 1 CPU
32mb of EDO RAM
4gb hard drive + 5gb secondary drive
CD ROM
WIndows 98 SE

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Windows 98 on 166Mhz pentium 1 with manual power supply plug?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 02:28:22 PM »
Disable ACPI in the Bios.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 07:03:38 PM »
Sorry for taking a while to get back.. I dont seem to have that option in the bios. For atleast i cant find it. I looked through all the submenus and through power settings and nada.

Hunter quest

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 01:36:29 AM »
    So...this isn't a power supply problem, it's a shutting down problem. Getting to "It's now safe..." is success. All AT power supplies have switches.

Anyway, does this happen in safe mode? Any external hardware that appears after booting? Are any CDs left in drives? (which is fine, but might cause a hang in some cases)

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 08:15:58 AM »
    Hunter quest,
    Thats what im stuck at.. It doesnt show that screen. " Its now safe.." it just locks up on Windows 98 is preparing to shut down.
    I Love playing classic dos and non dos titles. lol only reason i wanna try and revive this computer. only thing is it doesn't have USB. Older mobo. But no there is no DVD in the disk drive, once it makes it to the Windows is shutting down screen the hard drive freezes and nothing. Its a clean install too. 98 Se. any other ideas?

Hunter quest

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 01:00:14 AM »
      Does that mean it won't shut down from safe mode?

USB can always be added via PCI - the right PCI, there's different incompatible versions.

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
        • Programming Blog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 04:53:51 AM »
      Go into your win98 device manager and look for something like this:

Click properties on the items that say ACPI in this menu. I think you should be able to get it disabled somewhere in there.

This link may help more, but you want to do the opposite of what they are trying to do: http://eddy-current.com/shutdown.htm
      YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 09:18:49 PM »
      Hi

Normally when this happens it is either the acpi settings as someone else has said or that there is a problem with your hardware with windows fast shut down enabled this can be turned off as described here     http://support.microsoft.com/kb/187607.

Lisamaree
      You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan