Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: After new gfx card, buzzing and rapid heating during gameplay only!  (Read 3834 times)

Kaz

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    So I bought an nVidia 560 ti at the beginning of the year (replacing my 9500GT), installed it and everything was dandy for a few hours playing skryim when the buzzing came from my tower! I lowered the graphics to its bare minimum but it would only make it a softer buzzing. I haven't played skyrim since. The internet was telling me that it was dust, or its normal to heat up like that during games with intense graphics, but I beg to differ.. It makes the same noise and heats up just as quickly whilst playing world of warcraft at ITS bare minimum. Please, if anyone could assist me I just want to know what I need to replace.. I've taken it to a repair guy (spare me jargon if you could, I don't know much) and it makes the noise with many other graphics cards.. Does this mean it could be the power supply? The heatsink? Please tell me this is easily fixed :( Any help is GREATLY appreciated, I begin to worry for my system..

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
      • Programming Blog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: After new gfx card, buzzing and rapid heating during gameplay only!
    « Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 07:14:27 PM »
    Get the newest version of GPU-Z and use it to check the temp of your card.
    YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

Kaz

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 07:33:28 PM »
      I use the software the graphics card came with, EXPERTool, and am monitoring the heat every 5 seconds.. when its not making noises (which is COMPLETELY random..) it sits at around 35. When it decides to start buzzing whilst playing a game, itll increase literally a degree every two seconds until I alt tab to cool it off or it decides to stop.. :(

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 10:31:01 PM »
      Possibly the fan bearing has gone bad and is not providing enough airflow through the heatsink... thus causing the buzzing you speak of. When there is load on your graphics card and temps increase the drivers force the fan to increase speed.
      In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
      Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

Kaz

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 11:21:00 PM »
        So you're saying it could be the fan? or the heatsink? Because when I lean my head near it to get an idea of where the sound is coming from, it's really close to the graphics card, and the fans fine :o

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 01:37:01 AM »
        The heatsink is just solid metal.. it shouldn't make a sound, unless it's not fastened properly.... Are you sure the fan is working properly?

Take the computer out of the case and run it on a piece of cardboard/on a test rack, that way you'll be able to pinpoint the source of the buzzing noise more effectively.

Or... the "buzzing noise" you mention could just be coil whine, like in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNGn_SSOzKE May be coming from the inductors/"chokes" on your graphics card.
        In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
        Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

10twenty

Rookie

• Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 01:12:52 AM »
        buzzing? sounds like something touching the fan when it's in the case. make sure the cables and stuff is clear of the fan.
        not like it's never happened to me... before I got my Corsair 800D (it's so spacious inside!) my case was a bit crowded with cables and this and that... inevitably came the day after a cleaning with the air compressor I heard a buzzing from within the case- found out a cable was interfering with the CPU fan!

alternative is power supply being over loaded... the power needs of the newer GPUs are very different from say, a 9500GT. does the buzzing by any chance is low-frequency- about the same as the 60 Hz electrical mains buzz? then tehre's some issue with the Power Supply or your computer's connection to the electrical supply. (or it could be that there's something wrong with your electricity.. if you have a voltmeter that can measure the mains voltage and know how to do so properly, you can check and see if it's within spec- between 110 and 127 volts.)

I've heard some things making that 60 Hz buzz but never my computer! the 60 Hz buzz often indicates too much power draw, loose connection/bad connection, or when running a heavy inductive load. sometimes lightbulbs makes this buzz too (but very rarely).

Kaz

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 01:57:08 AM »
          thanks guys alot of sources have been telling me it is the power supply, theyve had the same issue. just needed some other opinions. cheers!