Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: »|£óÇΘª Weird Code ?  (Read 4697 times)

jcs

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    »|£óÇΘª Weird Code ?
    « on: May 11, 2012, 06:22:52 AM »
    Hi all,

When i click ONE of my backup file FOLDERs...i see weird code like this τÇog+▀k.^Ç√ in the title.

Then...when i double clik it...it says "the filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."

I created this FOLDER file by pulling them from my main drive...over to my backup drive (made by Western Digital, which is about 4 yrs old)...USING Windows Explorer.

When i copied the files over...to my Western Digital Drive...they were fine. Later when i checked them...i get codes like «ùb╞₧d*p. e╡

AND THEN...when i try to delete the FOLDER...i get "this is no longer located in e:\filename. Verify the items location and try again."

What is this...anyone know ?

PS. This seems to be happening to ONLY ONE program that i am trying to keep a backup of....which R educational video(s) that play in Cantasia (sic).

thanks in advance!

~J

« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 06:34:01 AM by jcs »

Salmon Trout

Re: »|£óÇΘª Weird Code ?
    « Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 09:30:59 AM »
    Sounds like your Western Digital drive is beginning to suffer from file system corruption. This could be the first sign of disk failure. You should run the CHKDSK command on the drive.

http://windows.about.com/od/maintainandfix/ss/CHKDSK.htm

jcs

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 05:14:42 PM »
      ^^ Thanks Salmon!

Ok...doing it now. I hope the drive is still good...but i don't know. Its showing a lot more space used than what is really used.

~j

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 05:20:52 PM »
      Its showing a lot more space used than what is really used.

It sounds like the hard drive is on the way out. Nearly all the way out. You can't trust it any more. If there is anything on there you absolutely must not lose, move it off while you still can (IF you still can) and get a replacement.

jcs

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 07:37:01 PM »
        yeah man....that's what i think too.

i got the data off of it...now i'm gonna try and reformat it.

I wonder if that might save it ?

thanks Salmon!

It sounds like the hard drive is on the way out. Nearly all the way out. You can't trust it any more. If there is anything on there you absolutely must not lose, move it off while you still can (IF you still can) and get a replacement.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 12:14:10 AM »
        i'm gonna try and reformat it. I wonder if that might save it ?

You can give it a try. If the disk is physically failing then nothing you can do will save it. A format might work or it might fail, and it would not prevent the type of error you have had.

jcs

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 08:50:29 AM »
          Gotcha Big Trout,

yeah...i just found out too...that this WD portable HD does not support Windows 7.

I wonder why it worked all these years ?

You can give it a try. If the disk is physically failing then nothing you can do will save it. A format might work or it might fail, and it would not prevent the type of error you have had.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 09:10:25 AM »
          This is an external ? ?

MS does not external HDD's running Windows...

It can be done with a sledgehammer and crowbar but this has been true since WinME...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 10:42:32 AM »
          yeah...i just found out too...that this WD portable HD does not support Windows 7.

I wonder why it worked all these years ?

Why do you say it "does not support" Windows 7? An external hard drive does not know what operating system you are running.