Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Deleting files does not make the file disappear until I refresh  (Read 13389 times)

jquin3

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Hi, I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. The problem is when I try to delete a file (not a system file), the file would not disappear. Deleting it again would bring out a message, "Could not find this item. This is no longer located in E:/ or wherever the location of the file is." The deleted file would only disappear if I manually refresh, hit F5 or go out of the folder and return to it. Its getting to be annoying especially when I delete a lot of files. Can anyone help? Creating new files or folders doesnt produce same problem, only when deleting.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Deleting files does not make the file disappear until I refresh
    « Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 05:42:05 PM »
    There are more important things to worry about.

But maybe you can advertise for a personal assistant.
    This would be a skilled person that can find the F5 key for you.

jquin3

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 10:55:30 PM »
      Wow, thanks for the sage advice. Just tell me if this is a normal occurrence and I'll just shut up. Do you need to always manually hit Refresh just to delete a file?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 11:56:34 PM »
      The behavior is due to Windows Explorer. The file is deleted, but there is some latency for WE to refresh the directory.

Have you tried drag and droop to delete files?

EDIT: I can not duplicate what you describe. It only takes a fraction of a second, unless Windows is also doing another task very heavy on the CPU. In that case it can take longer, but eventually does refresh.

What conditions bring on this  failure to auto-refresh the current directory display when you delete files? Do you have lots of other tasks running at the same time?
      « Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 12:14:46 AM by Geek-9pm »

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 12:12:12 AM »
      Go to Tools/Folder Options/ General Tab, and at the bottom, in the 'Navigation Pane', make sure 'Show all folders' and 'Automatically expand to current folder' are checked.

jquin3

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 03:58:10 AM »
        I'm not running a lot of processes when this happens, maybe 1 or 2 programs that are open.  Sometimes its just random. One day its fine, some days it happens. I tried this one solution in another forum which involves modifying this registry HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{BDEADE7F-C265-11D0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F}\Instance]. For some people it works but for some it doesnt.

Mayuukosan

Beginner
          • Yes
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 03:50:48 PM »
        I have something similar on my computer, not only when deleting but also when creating new files/folders it may take a few minutes for them to appear. I just use f5 or back-click and *refresh*. Just letting you know you are not alone.

zeroburn

Hopeful

• Knowlege will take you further than any guide
          • Yes
          • Jared Kat Enterprises
        « Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 11:42:06 PM »
        This happened to me, and i thought of it as just normal. I dismissed it, and just dealt with it
        I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.