Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Firefox download error  (Read 5838 times)

susan12

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Firefox download error
    « on: July 10, 2012, 01:53:23 AM »
    Hi, registered on this forum because of a annoying error, thanks for any help in advanced!

So im using Windows 7 pro x64, using firefox 3.6 and the problem is, whenever i download a .exe file it gives the error "you cannot change the contents of that folder, change permissions or save to another folder" (or words to that effect).
    this only happens to .exe and not to other extensions.

My default save location is the desktop, but saving to other locations does not solve the problem. i have also gave myself full permissions on the entire drive, even downloaded a registry hack that grants admin full control. this lead me to believe it has nothing to do with permissions at all.

When i download a .exe, the .exe and the .part gets created on the desktop, but only when it finished downloading and it tries to combine them do i get the error. and the funny thing is, if i just wait a few minutes and retry, it will work.

Im really stumped on this problem, i tried googling and found 1 or 2 cases similiar to mine but does not offer a fix, and i dunno why i seem to be the only one having this problem. i reinstalled firefox and my windows is updated.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

reddevilggg

Expert

Re: Firefox download error
    « Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 09:12:43 AM »
    A '.exe' is an executable file, generally, you shouldn't be able to change the contents. They are used for installing software and opening applications. You need to 'Run' the file to make it work

What .exe files are you trying to access and what are you trying to accomplish ?
    11 cheers for binary !

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 09:17:48 AM »
    reddevilggg: She's not trying to change the contents of the file nor does the error message indicate that she is.

Susan: see in anything in this thread helps: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/756418-permissions-temp-folder-vista.html

Also, you can try updating to the latest version of Firefox and see if that helps.

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 10:51:00 AM »

reddevilggg: She's not trying to change the contents of the file nor does the error message indicate that she is.

ah, read it completely wrong!  Sorry
    11 cheers for binary !

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 12:16:57 PM »
    ah, read it completely wrong!  Sorry
    Happens to me all the time.