Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Packard Bell Desktop with Intel Dual-Core shuts down immediately  (Read 8882 times)

jnjani

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Packard Bell Desktop with Intel Dual-Core shuts down in two three second. CPU fan and PSU fan starts and shuts down  immediately .  Checked with spare PSU with same rating - No change. As advised by one expert this could be a 'heat' issue. I have applied "Ceramique 2" - No change.
    Please help.

Additional Info: RAM 2 GB, OS Vista, No additional Hardware installed, This problem started all of sudden without any hardware software change.

Thanks.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Packard Bell Desktop with Intel Dual-Core shuts down immediately
    « Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 08:07:28 AM »
    Did you have the computer open and do something inside it just before this problem arose? 

Do you use a surge protector for your computer?   

jnjani

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 08:45:43 AM »
      Nope, I haven't opened computer. I am not using surge protector.

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 08:52:13 AM »
      Not using a surge protector leaves your computer vulnerable to possible damage from power surges.  The description of your problem would lead me to suspect failure of the PSU or motherboard.  And, since you've tried another PSU, the evidence is leaning toward the motherboard.

Let's wait for comments from other members here.

aussie11

Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 02:27:10 PM »
        Hi. Just fixed a friend’s packard bell laptop with exactly the same problem, it was a dead hard drive.

Try disconnecting the hard drive and see if you can get into bios.

I have a caddy so it was easy enough to USB the drive to my machine to test it.

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 03:32:23 PM »
        Hi. Just fixed a friend’s packard bell laptop with exactly the same problem, it was a dead hard drive.
        Hmm, I have to disagree.  A dead hard drive is not likely to cause CPU fan and PSU fans to shutdown.   Here's reference on 10 early warning symptoms of hard drive failure

jnjani

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 07:23:35 AM »
          Fully agree with soybean. I have another Desktop from Packard Bell it self only difference it is Celeron. I attached HDD of Dual-Core with this PC and it works perfectly. In other words this not at all problem of HDD.

aussie11

Beginner
            « Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 01:39:26 PM »
            Hi. The way I read the original post was that the machine shuts down, so the fan CPU would shut down along with the machine, maybe I’m interpreting it wrong.

What happened with the laptop was as soon as you switched on the fan and hard drive would start then after 4/5 seconds it would just switch off.

I connected the hard drive to my machine and was able to access the files for about 10 minutes then the hard drive just dropped off of disk manager never to be seen again.

I fitted a new hard drive re installed the o/s and it’s been fine ever since.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 05:42:06 PM »
            Are you the original Poster ? ?
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
            « Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 07:46:33 PM »
            Hi. The way I read the original post was that the machine shuts down, so the fan CPU would shut down along with the machine, maybe I’m interpreting it wrong.

What happened with the laptop was as soon as you switched on the fan and hard drive would start then after 4/5 seconds it would just switch off.

I connected the hard drive to my machine and was able to access the files for about 10 minutes then the hard drive just dropped off of disk manager never to be seen again.

I fitted a new hard drive re installed the o/s and it’s been fine ever since.
            Not sure your main point is.  I repeat, a bad hard drive would not cause the CPU fan and PSU fans to shutdown.  If you're still trying to say that, based on your experience, a bad hard drive is the cause of the shutdown, your logic is flawed and your conclusion invalid.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
            « Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 12:19:57 AM »
            When was the last time the CMOS battery replaced? Make sure the heatsink is well planted on the processor.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            • Certifications: List
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 12:39:55 AM »
            Hmm, I have to disagree.  A dead hard drive is not likely to cause CPU fan and PSU fans to shutdown.   Here's reference on 10 early warning symptoms of hard drive failure
            Given the information the OP provided., removing the HDD is  pocketbook procedure. Even if it is not generally likely, the symptoms say it is likely enough to warrant a simple test.

I repeat, a bad hard drive would not cause the CPU fan and PSU fans to shutdown. 
            Whoever said this knows very little. or does not pay attention.   The fist post did not have enough information to justify that kind of conclusion. Later, he said he tested the HDD, which is a basis for making a conclusion. If the fan fails of its own, the CPU will shut down several seconds later. But why would the fan shut down? Which fan? Did he see the fan shut down?  If the PSU fan shut down, then it was the PSU that shut down, not the CPU.
            « Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 12:57:14 AM by Geek-9pm »

soybean

Genius
            « Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 08:53:13 AM »
            Whoever said this knows very little. or does not pay attention.   
            I said it.  Surely, you know that.  And, I know more than "very little" and I was paying some attention to comments in this thread.

So then, you're saying a bad hard drive could be the cause of the behavior stated in the OP: "shuts down in two three second. CPU fan and PSU fan starts and shuts down  immediately."  Is that what you're saying?

jnjani

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 09:11:10 AM »
               ???
              OK, it seems that there is a little bit of confusion. Let me put my problem again. PC shuts down immediately. When this symptom arise first time, I opened case and I have seen that after pressing switch, CPU fan starts and PSU fan starts - just after two-three second it stops. Just as we shut down PC. There is no beep or there is no time for the any beep as it shuts down instantly.

As advised by soybean, I removed board from case and started PC with just 24 pin plug. In this situation both of fans are running. When I plugged 12V same problem started.

I tested HDD on other PC with EXACTLY same motherboard. Only difference is, it is Celeron. Based on this result, I believe that there is no problem with HDD.

I hope this clarification would help other expert to understand actual situation.

Waiting for further comments from experts.

Thanks

aussie11

Beginner
                « Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 01:47:02 PM »
                Hi.    My logic is simple, I had a lap top that kept shutting down almost immediately, I changed the hard drive and now it works.

From the op I wasn’t sure if he meant the fan was shutting down because the machine was shutting down, and I must admit I am still not sure.

So I assume you have tried to enter bios without the hard drive just to rule it out completely, as previously stated a simple test.