Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sound is not working  (Read 3443 times)

02bin3

Sound is not working
« on: May 28, 2012, 04:24:37 PM »
This morning I downloaded many updates from Microsoft, including a huge Navidia file.  After the updates I restarted the computer and then started downloading some videos from youtube.  At this time the sound  was working just fine.  I didn't listen to or watch any videos or music through the day.  I just tried to listen to a video on youtube, and there is no sound.  The speakers are getting power as the light is on, however, when I clicked on the speaker in the task bar to see if it was turned off, it was all the way up, and there was an icon of earphones on the popup.  I double clicked on the earphones and it brought up a small window where I changed the icon to what looked like a speaker to me, but I still can't get any sound.  I tried restarting the computer as sometimes, for whatever weird reason, that does fix some problems, but that didn't work either.  I don't know if those downloads (233MB) conflicted with the sound card driver or not and I have no idea how to get an updated driver, if that's what it needs?  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem could possibly be?

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Sound is not working
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 04:28:26 PM »
Drivers should ONLY be downloaded from the websites of the hardware manufacturer - NEVER from Windows Update. I suggest you roll back the driver or download the correct one from the Nvidia website.

02bin3

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 04:46:35 PM »
I had to look up what "roll back" meant and found the Sound, video and game controllers, and clicked on that and found 5 sub-headings under that:  The first says, High Definition Audio Device and the last 4 all say NVIDIA High Definition Audio.  When I clicked on Properties of all 5 it said that they were working properly.  Do I believe this? or not?  Should I roll back all 5 as I have no idea which, or if all of them were updated this morning. 

02bin3

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 04:29:35 AM »
Apparently none of the NVIDIA listings in the Device Manager had been updated by Microsoft, so I took your advice and went to the NVIDIA website and downloaded an updated driver and, voila!, I have sound.  Thank you, Allan.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 05:28:00 AM »
You're welcome.