Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No audio, even after replacing sound card. Hardware or software problem?  (Read 45395 times)

audioproblems

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    I had a computer with the onboard Realtek that exhibited a similar problem.  The Realtek software will override the Windows sound settings.  It will also autodetect if the sound cable is plugged in.  If I remember correctly, there's a mute setting checkbox.

Since you are having the same problem with the PCI sound card & the Linux CD, it must be hardware related.

This is the 1st computer I've heard of or worked on in 20 years where the sound cannot be fixed by an add-on card.  Connecting to Stereo Aux input would have no detrimental effect on anything.  Those stereo mini-jacks can be tempermental, if pushed in too far or not far enough, won't make proper contact.  I would start looking carefully at all the cables & connectors.  On my computer the problem was the mini-jack not making proper contact and I would get the low volume you describe.  Play around with the jack, pull it in & out just a bit while sound is playing & see if it makes any difference.  When you pull the plug, you should see the Realtek popup saying you unplugged it & go awasy when you plug it back in.

That's what people have been telling me indeed. I don't understand it at all. The stereo works fine, with my iPod and the same cable...

I just did what you adviced. I do indeed get the Realtek pop-up as usual, but if I play around with the plug, it's either the low volume sound I've been getting all the time, or the (usual) noise you hear when you pull out a speaker plug.
    The mini-jack goes straight into the motherboard, so there are no other cables there I could check. I don't see any connectors either, it's just the block with six audio plugs like you can see here at the top in the middle.

I really don't understand it. I'm always very careful with expensive stuff. I connected the amp to the PC like I put my headphones in my iPod, nothing special or so. It just broke I guess. :p

While it would be wonderful if this turned out to be the problem "Those stereo mini-jacks can be tempermental," . I too can relate that exact same issue on one of my computers some time ago. truenorth

You did? How did you fix it if I may ask?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    2 questions:
    1.  The cable to your iPod and the cable from your computer to these is the same cable?
    2.  Plugs on both ends?

If yes to both, it's the cheap jacks they use on the motherboard & the PCI card and/or the cable.  Find the "sweet spot" where it works.  If the jack or plug is slightly out of spec, this is the result.  You might find another cable with plugs that works just fine in everything.

I had exactly the same problem with my motherboard (now dead & gone).  If you moved the cable a little bit, no sound & had to fiddle with it for a while.
    Sorry, it took me a while to understand your problem.

BTW, the "pointy" end is called the plug which inserts into the jack.  Both are also known as connectors.  So, jacks & plugs are types of connectors.  Connectors are much more complicated than they appear & there is a specification for all the dimensions.  The Chinese are so driven by price, that saving a bit of metal when you make millions of them, adds up to greater profits.  Nobody bothers to inspect or test, so it's easy to fool everyone & it becomes someone else's problem after the sale, i.e. You & Me, etc.

audioproblems

Topic Starter

Rookie

Hmmm, no, I'll explain. I've got two cables that I'm using:

A) a 1,5 meter mini stereo extension cable, like this one. This cable goes into my desktop, straight into the green motherboard jack.
      B) an RCA-to mini-jack cable, like this one.

- These are my "old" speakers, the ones I've been using for the pas two years. They are connected with my desktop through cable A.

- The 1980 Pioneer stereo: I briefly connected it to the green jack on the motherboard using cable B.

Both cable A and B work fine, I attached my iPod to both of them and that works well.
      I also tried to connect the speakers directly to my PC, without the use of cable A, but that gives me the same result.

The problem is thus the PC itself, probably the green jack indeed.

Although, question: shouldn't the PCI sound card work then? It doesn't make use of the green output jack on the motherboard?

When did the problem with your motherboard occur? Also after plugging in something else?
      I tried fiddling with it indeed, but it doesn't seem to help me.

No problem, I'm glad you're trying to help. :)

Salmon Trout

BTW, the "pointy" end is called the plug which inserts into the jack.  Both are also known as connectors.

Generically, this type of connector is called A TRS (tip ring sleeve) connector. In British English speaking countries, the terms jack plug and jack socket are commonly used for the respective male and female TRS connectors. In the U.S., a stationary (fixed) electrical connector is called a "jack".

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      ...Both cable A and B work fine, I attached my iPod to both of them and that works well.
      1.  I also tried to connect the speakers directly to my PC, without the use of cable A, but that gives me the same result.
      2.  The problem is thus the PC itself, probably the green jack indeed.
      3.  Although, question: shouldn't the PCI sound card work then? It doesn't make use of the green output jack on the motherboard?
      1.  You had to use some cable to do this; it's not cable A or B.  That's the one that has not been used on the iPod.  It must be a male plug to male plug.
      2.  Maybe not.  Explain #1 first.
      3.  Let's solve one problem at a time.

audioproblems

Topic Starter

Rookie

Ah, I see what you mean.

Well, the Altec Lansing speakerset has a mini-jack cable that is fixed to one of speakers. It is that cable that I connect to cable A, and cable A goes to the motherboard.
        That cable, the whole speakerset in fact, work fine.

Actually, everything works fine apart from the PC. :p

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        I have never seen a mini-jack permanently affixed to the speaker.  I have several Altecs, they are all the same, except for the addition of the Aux input.  If both cable are plugged in at the same time, one overrides the other.
        The iPod connects to the Aux on the Altec speakers.  It does not use the mini-jack according to pic 4c.  Computer is show in 4a.
        Model VS2420 Quick Connect Card

Try a different set of powered speakers with the computer.

audioproblems

Topic Starter

Rookie

I have never seen a mini-jack permanently affixed to the speaker.  I have several Altecs, they are all the same, except for the addition of the Aux input.  If both cable are plugged in at the same time, one overrides the other.
          The iPod connects to the Aux on the Altec speakers.  It does not use the mini-jack according to pic 4c.  Computer is show in 4a.
          Model VS2420 Quick Connect Card

Try a different set of powered speakers with the computer.

Well, [ur=http://i.imgur.com/Mdmsr.jpgl]mine is[/url]. The cable on the right is the cable that goes into the PC. Could be because it's the European version maybe?
          I've never used the AUX input on the Altec set. If I use the iPod with the speakers, I just plug in the same fixed cable and that works fine.

I just tried another set of speakers, same issue. Same with my headphones which I've tried before.

Salmon Trout

I have never seen a mini-jack permanently affixed to the speaker

My current Labtec speakers and also the previous four sets of powered speakers have been that way.

truenorth

Guru

I have a 3 speaker Dell system on one of my computers and all are hard wired to one another and the master input is also hardwired. What seems strangest to me is that other than the introduction of a pci sound card all other alterations (the amplifier and cables ) were all outbound from the computer.Therefore given that this issue only arose after the introduction of the amplifier and from that point until now has rendered in audible sound from the original and also from the installed sound card. Also that it affects both speaker and headset reception tends to eliminate the female jacks (as i believe it to be unlikely that both female line out on the pci card and the connection on the mobo for the onboard would both go out at the same time.As to your question"You did? How did you fix it if I may ask?" Initially i just very slightly altered the placement of the mini stereo plug in the female jack eventually i experimented with other cables until i found one that didn't misbehave. I cannot see how the external addition of the amplifier could cause a backward fault to any of the sound system software/hardware on the computer.The only factors that occur to me (and this is beyond my pay grade as to how if they even COULD affect things ) they are resistance or impedance created from the amplifier. This is a real conundrum.truenorth

audioproblems

Topic Starter

Rookie

My current Labtec speakers and also the previous four sets of powered speakers have been that way.

Indeed, all the speaker sets I've ever had have been that way.

I have a 3 speaker Dell system on one of my computers and all are hard wired to one another and the master input is also hardwired. What seems strangest to me is that other than the introduction of a pci sound card all other alterations (the amplifier and cables ) were all outbound from the computer.Therefore given that this issue only arose after the introduction of the amplifier and from that point until now has rendered in audible sound from the original and also from the installed sound card. Also that it affects both speaker and headset reception tends to eliminate the female jacks (as i believe it to be unlikely that both female line out on the pci card and the connection on the mobo for the onboard would both go out at the same time.As to your question"You did? How did you fix it if I may ask?" Initially i just very slightly altered the placement of the mini stereo plug in the female jack eventually i experimented with other cables until i found one that didn't misbehave. I cannot see how the external addition of the amplifier could cause a backward fault to any of the sound system software/hardware on the computer.The only factors that occur to me (and this is beyond my pay grade as to how if they even COULD affect things ) they are resistance or impedance created from the amplifier. This is a real conundrum.truenorth

Exactly. It cannot be that the PCI sound card output jack would be damaged, it was new. It had to be something on the motherboard itself, I can't think of anything else.

I'll try to get hold of some other cables to test it further, but so far I've tried plugging in my Altec Lansing speakers, another speakerset, my headphones and the original extension cable attached to the previous ones. That's four different cables....

And yes, I (and several others) can't wrap my head around it either. I got the stereo from a friend of mine who used it before without any issues, also using the AUX-input to connect the stereo to his laptop.
              I'm actually curious to see what it would do to connect the stereo to my laptop, but I'm not risking anything now. :D

I really hope the USB sound card will help, otherwise I'll have to look for a new motherboard compatible with the current hardware, which is now almost five years old.

truenorth

Guru

Looking ahead (but also hoping that the external sound card will fix things--although i am having my doubts about that) instead of the MOBO replacement unless a very inexpensive one can be found if it were me and the only real thing i wanted was a computer capable of integrating with the amplifier and stereo i want to use i would cast about for a used computer that would do that. The cost would be probably comparable and you could still use the current one for your other needs. Anyway let's think positive. As i write this i don't have ready access to page one of your post and it occurs to me has this amplifier/stereo ever worked on any computer prior to your attempting this? Excuse me if you have already dealt with that.truenorth

audioproblems

Topic Starter

Rookie

Looking ahead (but also hoping that the external sound card will fix things--although i am having my doubts about that) instead of the MOBO replacement unless a very inexpensive one can be found if it were me and the only real thing i wanted was a computer capable of integrating with the amplifier and stereo i want to use i would cast about for a used computer that would do that. The cost would be probably comparable and you could still use the current one for your other needs. Anyway let's think positive. As i write this i don't have ready access to page one of your post and it occurs to me has this amplifier/stereo ever worked on any computer prior to your attempting this? Excuse me if you have already dealt with that.truenorth

I'll probably get hold of it monday, if there's any - hopefully positive - news, I'll let it know here.

I thought about what you said, but since I use Youtube and Band in a Box etc. a lot, I probably should get it fixed anyway.

And yes, a friend of mine used this stereo for probably about a year with his laptop, worked perfectly.
                  I'm just a little nervous to try to connect it to my laptop now. I know it should not be any problem at all, it worked fine with my iPod, but I don't really want to risk my only way of listing to my music.

truenorth

Guru

We all have our fingers crossed.truenorth

audioproblems

Topic Starter

Rookie

I just received the USB sound card from my cousin, it's an Edirol UA-1A. I just plugged it in, connected the AUX input from the amp to it using an RCA cable, and it works like a charm! :) (YES - I am happy!)

So: I found a way to get my sound working again, but according to my cousin (an audio engineer) there still should be some setting that I could adjust. He said that there's no way I could have broken my motherboard by connecting the amp to my PC (which I thought too initially), and that there should be some sort of setting that got changed while plugging it in. I don't know how I could possibly find out what that could be, so for now I'll just be using this Edirol device.

Thanks everyone for their help. If I ever find out what the issue was, I'll post back here. If someone still has an idea, I'd still be very much interested.