Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't delete MPG file. How can I do it on XP Pro?  (Read 2755 times)

mistymiss

Can't delete MPG file. How can I do it on XP Pro?
« on: July 11, 2004, 07:04:27 PM »
I have a .mpg file that wont let me delete it. If I even try to highlite the file it freezes explorer. I have taken everything out of the folder except said .mpg file and tried to delete the whole folder. It tells me that it can't delete it because another program is using it. I have closed all processes and turned off everything except my system processes and explorer and it still gives me this error. I have booted my computer in safe mode and it still wont let me delete it. If my curser even goes across the file, it partially freezes explorer. (won't let me get the properties of other files until i close the whole  folder in task manager.
I started out with 5 - 1 mg  .mpg files that I joined together with EZ Video Joiner. I now had a 5  mg  .mpg file that workes fine. When I deleted the 5 parts  one of those 5  files wouldn't let me delete it.    Now it has become a pain-in-the-*censored*(excuse my french   lol ).

Is there a way I can delete this file from my  dos command prompt? Or some other way?  I really don't know much about dos and command prompts & pathes so I'm asking for some help.
Thanks in advance.
(Also, after I close the folder in my task manager that is freezing explorer; I lose half of the icons in my sys tray until I re-boot my system. I have run my norton anti-virus & Tauscan anti-trojan programs & Spybot. It is not detected by any of those. )

brain overload

Re: Can't delete MPG file. How can I do it on XP P
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 11:27:23 AM »
Theres a free program called eraser install it & then drag the folder to it. That should get rid of it

Joleen

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 12:14:05 PM »
Are you sure it's a mpg and not an avi?

mistymiss

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 03:04:20 PM »
 ;D

Thanks for all the help. My problem is solved. Someone sent me a small 147kb utility called "Delete Doctor v1.1".
It is from Clean Disk Security and is available for free from there website  www.diskcleaners.com. I will be using this again and thank you (you know who you are)
again for sending me this great little tool.
Misty ;)

MalikTous

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2004, 11:05:01 AM »
We should maybe add www.diskcleaners.com to a resources list... Maybe we should have a resources links list!