Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't use Internet Explorer on Windows 2000  (Read 4885 times)

JL2008

Topic Starter

Rookie

Can't use Internet Explorer on Windows 2000
    « on: June 22, 2012, 08:12:14 PM »
    Hi,

I have a PC at work with Windows 2000. I cant use Internet Explorer Mozilla or Firefox. I went to Network Connections and it says connected. I ran IPconfig/all and the IP address is 0.0.0.0. The error I get in IE is can't find server or dns error. I was able to use IE by creating a dialup connection for a couple minutes only. I ran nesth,interface reset all, routing reset all,routing,dump,bye & exit. I ran IPconfig & there was a valid address but still coulnd't use IE. After a while, the IP address went back to to 0.0.0.0. I tried to Ping another PC(I can use IE on this one) and I got an error about host not recognized.  I already went to IPsec & TCP/IP filtering. I went to regedt32 ad checked HKey_local_machine\system\controlset001\services\dhcp. TCP/IP is set to automaticall detect IP adress. The DHCP client services is set to automatic. Device Manager says that adapter is working. The adapter is Intel Pro/100 VM. I tried to update the driver. Windows said that it found an driver that was more compatible to the adapter. I tried to install the driver but then it asked me to specify a location. I dont have CD or floppy drive with Windows 2000. Under Network adapters in Device Manager: There are 3 items that have an x. One is Wan Miniport (IPX) #2. And the other 2 is for Wireless. Also I have yahoo and google toolbar for IE. I ran Malwarebytes  before I left. When I go to work I will see if the PC found anything. Also this PC doesnt have any Anti virus software. Any ideas?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Can't use Internet Explorer on Windows 2000
    « Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 04:28:26 PM »
    Avast antivirus still supports Win2k.  I use it on my old laptop running Win2k.  All versions of Firefox work with Win2k.

JL2008

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 06:24:03 PM »
      OK Thanks.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Experience: Beginner
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 09:25:47 AM »
      Thanks, BCP.  It's running 12.  Rarely use browser on it.
      It's now too slow to use WinXP, ever since SP3, even with 544MB RAM, but P2-333.