Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Trying to get Raid Server to work, no luck  (Read 4987 times)

sarcasticphoenix

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Trying to get Raid Server to work, no luck
    « on: June 21, 2012, 03:58:45 PM »
    I am sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, I thought for a long time where to post this.

Hello, I recently bought a Rackable Systems 2U RAID server off of eBay for a very low price.
    I just cannot get that server to boot anything. I have installed Ubuntu on the RAID disk, but it will not boot. Any bootable media, such as install CDs and bootable USBs, will not boot for some reason, with the text "Operating Systems not found".
    Is there ANY way I could possibly bring the server back to life? Could I install an operating system onto the RAID disk some other way than an Installer?

Specs I know:
    Rackable Systems 2U server
    RAID 2TB Hard Drive (4x 500Gb SATA 7,200rpm Drives) capable of R0, R1, R5, R10
    32GB RAM DDR2
    Two AMD Opteron Duad Cores at 2.11 GHz per core
    Robust Flextronics / Arima Corporation NM46X dual processor Opteron 2nd Generation Multicore Server class Motherboard
    Integrated ATI ES1000 16Mb Graphics Adapter
    Integrated 2x Nvidia McP55 Gigabit 10/100/1000 LAN Adapters. No WiFi Adapters
    Came with Windows Server 2003 Trial Edition, wiped by installing other OSs such as Ubuntu

I wonder if I change the RAID type around, will I be able to install operating systems once again?
    Could I connect the RAID disk to another computer and install from there?
    Could I switch out the RAID disk and BIOS completely to install operating systems?
    Anything I can do to install an operating system?

I am guessing that the four numbered "boxes" circled must be the Hard Drives...
    -------------------------
    This is my signature!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Trying to get Raid Server to work, no luck
    « Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 11:15:59 PM »
    Welcome!
    Computer Hope is the number one location for free computer help.
    The forum will help everyone with all computer questions.

Have you done RAID before?
    In general, the OS nay boot from a device that is not part of the RAID. This makes things a lot easier.

Many distributions of Linux are for Desktop systems that conform  to the PC standard. A  rack server may use a OS made just for the system.

If it were me, I would get back the Windows 2003 trial server and verify that the things works good. Did you already don that?
    It is strongly recommended  the OS NOT be part of the RAID. This gives you the option of changing the OS without messing the RAID data.

There are many distributions of Linux or similar OS that may work.
    Debian
    Slackware
    Ubuntu Server
    Fedora Linux
    And of course, Red Hat.

You may get good answers by going to the Ubuntu site. They have very active chat rooms.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/support/community/chat

sarcasticphoenix

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 07:34:38 AM »
      Thank you for the help.
      Unfortunately, I have tried these installers:
      Debian
      Ubuntu Server
      Windows Server 2012
      And the server screams at me that there are "No operating systems found".
      I have installed OSs on many other computers before, but this server is giving me a headache.
      I found an option that lets me change the RAID type (Mirrored, Striped, Mirrored Stripe, and RAID5), maybe that could help.
      Also, when redoing the RAID setup, I have the option to wipe MBR.
      I will try to look for the ISO file of Windows Server 2003 once more.
      Do you know any solution to fixing the "unbootable installers"?
      Also, is there any way I could hook up the RAID drives to another computer and install from there?

EDIT:
      Cannot find the Windows Server 2003 ISO, I will try to download the Windows Server 2008 trial ISO.
      EDIT again:
      Windows Server 2008 trial is not letting me download, I will try Windows Server Enterprise Download.
      Thanks,
      Sarcasticphoenix
      « Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 07:51:56 AM by sarcasticphoenix »
      This is my signature!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 10:51:04 AM »
      When you have time, can you look inside the box and see what is there? Maybe a photo and others here can tell you what you have.

Here are some articles on RAID from a Google  search.
      I like this one best
      http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/132877/how_to_set_up_raid_on_your_pc.html

This is for a MAC, but has some good tips.
      http://www.macworld.com/article/1057858/june07geekfactor.html

This article has references.
      http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/netsysm/article.php/3728971/Build-Your-Own-RAID-Storage-Server-with-Linux.htm

You will notice that starting from a non-RAID installation OS is the common starting point.  That means you have a separate drive that has the OS on it  but is not part of the hardware array. The RAID is installed as a new volume.

sarcasticphoenix

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 03:48:51 PM »
        Okay.
        I did a LOT of tweaking, and fortunately I had the OS problem fixed. Thank you for the help!
        However, I now have another problem.

The server is making too much noise.
        I cannot sleep with it on.

I knew it was the fans that were making the noise, so I opened the server and replaced the visible fans (the 2 80mm fans and the 1 CPU fan) to ones on eBay. However, there was still noise.
        I found that the noise was coming from the two tiny 40mm fans cooling a random heat sink in the back (probably the graphics one). I could find the following data on it:
        13000 RPM
        24 CFM
        They each make 54.5 db of noise. No wonder the server was loud.
        So, in order to quiet it down, I will replace the fans again, with quieter ones.
        However, each fan is pumping 24 CFM of air, so they are sending about 50 CFM in total.
        What is the LEAST amount of air the new fans have to pump to keep the server averagely cool?
        Here is what I am thinking of using as a replacement:
        http://www.ebay.com/itm/40mm-20mm-New-Case-Fan-12V-14CFM-3pin-Waterproof-to-IP55-3Pin-Ball-Brgs-313A-/180758630077?pt=US_Computer_Case_Fans&hash=item2a160dcebd#ht_1501wt_1039

Here are some images (The empty area beside the orange heat sink is where the fans used to be):

Close up of where the fans were

The fans I changed

The old fans
        This is my signature!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 04:51:50 PM »
        So now the server is working. Let's mark this thread as done.

When you have high noise levels, replacing the fans is recommend. Unless you can lubricate the fans. Here is a CH article about FANS:
        http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000302.htm#02

The 25 CPM is for use in a RACK.  On a Desktop you can cut that down a lot. Measure the temp inside the case. Keep it under 90 F or or 25 C.
        See also:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_cooling