Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Format my Compaq Presario 5060??  (Read 5669 times)

Kojoi

Format my Compaq Presario 5060??
« on: September 25, 2005, 01:00:38 PM »
Hi!
I want to format the hard drive on my Compaq Presario 5060 but I'm not sure on HOW to do it.
In other words, I want to remove every file that ever existed on my hard drive. Nowadays the computer is soooo slow and makes sounds whenever it's working, maybe because we've installed Windows 98 over and over again whenever it would go nuts and we've also downloaded very big files as movies and such.

I don't want to use Fdisk so I've read about this other program called "Morgud's Erasure Suite (MES)"...but I don't know if it works on my computer.

What is the best program to use? I've never done this before so I want to know what I should do instead of taking a wild guess and maybe mess up the computer more.

I appriciate if anyone please could help me.

Raptor

Re: Format my Compaq Presario 5060??
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 01:59:25 PM »
Do the following:

• Download a bootable diskette from this location
  • Create a bootable diskette
  • Insert Diskette
  • Set FDD as first boot device
  • Choose to boot with CD-ROM Support
  • Type Format C: in A: prompt.

I don't want to use Fdisk

Fdisk is a good program. Why not?

Computer_Commando

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 01:59:58 PM »
1.  I want to format the hard drive...
2.  I want to remove every file that ever existed on my hard drive...
3.  I don't want to use Fdisk...
4.  What is the best program to use?...
5.  I want to know what I should do instead of taking a wild guess and maybe mess up the computer more...

1.  Format c: /s
2.  Formatiing will remove everything, including Windows.
3.  Why?
4.  Fdisk & Format
5.  Everything you have mentioned will "mess up the computer more".  I suspect you don't want to do any of this.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 04:41:19 PM »
Use the disks for the compaq you have! or just use the win98 cdrom.....>
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 04:41:54 PM by merlin_2 »

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 04:51:26 PM »
Hi!
I want to format the hard drive on my Compaq Presario 5060
I don't want to use Fdisk so I've read about this other program called "Morgud's Erasure Suite (MES)"...but I don't know if it works on my computer.

I don't know what Morgud's Erasure Suite" is, and I'm not sure I want to. Fdisk and Format are the only commands you need, but first answer the question about WHAT are you going to restore with - a Windows 98 CD or the Compaq Restore CD. You will want to note your hardware for driver searches first. (Trust me, I've done Presarios MANY times!)

Kojoi

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 12:38:29 AM »
It's me again, thanks for all the help.

Raptor & Computer_Commando (CC I liked the way you replied!):
I don't want to use Fdisk cause I read a lot about that it doesn't take away all the information on your harddrive and it can still be recovered. Look at http://www.unh.edu/tech-services/csc/comdisp.html to learn more.

I want to completely wipe and erase everything out so the hard drive is like new, fresh and clean like it was the first time it was ever used. I found it in english and now I know what it's called...to zero out a hard drive. NOT format it. That's what I want to do. So now what?

merlin_2:
The only thing that happens is that windows 98 lays itself on top of itself and that's not good.

GX1_Man:
I have a Compaq Restore CD...
I have drivers for the network card, the rest is on that CD...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2005, 01:45:33 AM by Kojoi »

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 05:48:25 AM »
I want to completely wipe and erase everything out so the hard drive is like new, fresh and clean like it was the first time it was ever used. I found it in english and now I know what it's called...to zero out a hard drive. NOT format it. That's what I want to do. So now what?

Should have that sooner.

Fdisk does not erase information. It allows you to create new partitions. The format command causes Windows to stop seeing the files.

Destroying all data on a HDD means you have to use special software. This software can often be obtained from the HDD manufacturer. This will take several runs to be certain that no home user can retrieve software.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005, 10:42:47 AM »
...Look at http://www.unh.edu/tech-services/csc/comdisp.html to learn more...

Why not use what the link suggests?  Norton System Works, “Wipe Info”.