Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows installer  (Read 4162 times)

folivieri

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Windows installer
    « on: June 21, 2012, 08:20:49 PM »
    I have tried to download several programs but its states windows installer service could not be accessed.  I tried just about everything to no avail including trying system restore.  services.msc doesn't show a windows installer just windows module installer. I have tried downloading from microsoft site but i cant install anything due to no windows installer. Running Vista 32 bit.  everything else is fine just can't download anything that needs windows installer.  Is there another way to manually install windows installer?

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows installer
    « Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 11:35:38 PM »
    Your account that you log in with my be corrupt try the steps below this should work

go to start and then open run box and type cmd and push enter then in the black box that opens just put text below in it and hit enter and once it says it was successful just re-boot pc and log into the admin account and try running the installer again it should work like a charm 

net user administrator /active:yes       Just copy and paste the line to the left into the black box

Mike   
    Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

immental1200

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 05:56:24 AM »
    I have tried to download several programs but its states windows installer service could not be accessed.  I tried just about everything to no avail including trying system restore.  services.msc doesn't show a windows installer just windows module installer. I have tried downloading from microsoft site but i cant install anything due to no windows installer. Running Vista 32 bit.  everything else is fine just can't download anything that needs windows installer.  Is there another way to manually install windows installer?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8483

Your account that you log in with my be corrupt try the steps below this should work

go to start and then open run box and type cmd and push enter then in the black box that opens just put text below in it and hit enter and once it says it was successful just re-boot pc and log into the admin account and try running the installer again it should work like a charm 

net user administrator /active:yes       Just copy and paste the line to the left into the black box

Mike   

Ignore this. Your likely to screw up the system with the built in admin account without realising it.
    A better way to perform this 'fix' would be to create a new admin account...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 10:15:22 AM »
    Start->Run "services.msc" and confirm that "Windows Installer Service" is Running.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    « Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 09:52:05 PM »
    doesn't show a windows installer just windows module installer.
    Are you sure about this startup service ?