Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help with printing a large image  (Read 8853 times)

Wefro_froyas

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Help with printing a large image
    « on: July 20, 2012, 09:01:14 PM »
    Alright so i'm trying to print a certain image on transparency film which will be used for screen printing. My question is how can I set up a document in word so that when I print a document which is 16 by 20 Inches it won't cut off. My second question is how can I put this image in the document and be sure that the white (which is supposed to be transparent) won't print?

Here is the image in question

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Help with printing a large image
    « Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 09:16:55 PM »
    Normal paper is 8 by 11.5 for letters. You need a tetra wide printer to do 16 by 20.
    You need to make a custom paper size in Word.
    Here is one reference for word 2007 with a step-by-step tutorial.
    http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/format-the-paper-size-in-word-2007.html

Wefro_froyas

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 09:28:39 PM »
      Normal paper is 8 by 11.5 for letters. You need a tetra wide printer to do 16 by 20.
      You need to make a custom paper size in Word.
      Here is one reference for word 2007 with a step-by-step tutorial.
      http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/format-the-paper-size-in-word-2007.html

Yeah i've set them up in word but they still get cut off at the 8 by 11 marks for some reason even the though page is 16 by 20

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 11:00:35 PM »
      I don't think "Une Simple Entoile" makes sense in French...

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 11:02:46 PM »
      Normal paper is 8 by 11.5 for letters.

Only in the US. everywhere else it's 210 by 297.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 12:32:26 AM »
      My second question is how can I put this image in the document and be sure that the white (which is supposed to be transparent) won't print?
      I would argue that you should be reasonably sure anyway- Printers don't have white ink, after all!

I have another question here though: if you want to print an image, why are you using Word?

Either way, those margins are either set by the Printer Driver, or sometimes even the Printer itself. You might even try opening the image in MSPaint and printing from there and seeing how it turns out. If it get's cut off there, you'll need to visit the settings for the printer driver and/or research possible limitations on the printer itself.

I don't think "Une Simple Entoile" makes sense in French...

Maybe it's a ad for a ventilation company?
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 12:55:05 AM »
      Maybe it's a ad for a ventilation company?

How so? Toile is cloth, used alone often signifies canvas or rough cloth, and the two-word phrase "en toile" means "made of canvas" - un sac en toile is a canvas bag; un sac en toile de jute is pictured below

I wonder if entoile is a mis-spelling of étoile (star)?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 01:22:16 AM »
      How so?

Well, I used google translate, it gave me "a single duct" as the translation.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 01:56:13 AM »
      Sounds like a Babelfish type machine-translation problem: idioms should not be snipped up and translated word-for-word:  ruban adhésif en toile ("sticky canvas tape") (note space) is what French people call a product which many English speakers call "duct tape". A variation is ruban entoilé - note acute accent and the fact that entoilé is an adjective, not a noun and that it's un ruban (masculine gender). A further linguistic pitfall is that apparently the sticky stuff was originally "duck tape" - the original 1942 Johnson & Johnson product was made from "duck" cloth (what non-textile folk call 'canvas') and rubber adhesive. Somehow by a kind of Chinese whisper effect over the years "duck" morphed into "duct". I guess the initial 't' of 'tape' kind of duplicated itself backwards and stuck itself (!) onto the end of 'duck'. This can happen if you say it quickly enough repeatedly. Ruban means tape or ribbon but just because of that we should not suppose "en toile" means "duct" (or duck!). The 'duct' name leads many people to imagine that it's good for repairing... ducts. The prestigious Lawrence Livermore Laboratory found that 'duct tape' was about the worst thing you can use for repairing or supporting HVAC ducts. By the way the British "gaffer tape" is different.

You might say that this is desperately off-topic but I have to say that I have found that often when preparing text, artwork, etc for reproduction, people concentrate on the purely technical problems, colour matching, justification, font, etc to the extent that they completely overlook the most amazing howlers contained in the matter to be published.

Maybe the OP would care to enlighten us?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 03:31:21 AM »
      If anything comes from this at all, the very least will be that I will now refer to "Duct Tape" as "Duck Tape" and inform those who question it of the origins of the wording as you have.

Wefro_froyas

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 06:34:26 PM »
        I apologize its not "Un Simple Entoile" Thank you for pointing that out It supposed to be "Une Simple Etoile" which is supposed to be "A Single Star" Thats what I was told atleast. It's for a local DIY Space agency and were making a banner for there main control room.
        « Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 06:50:45 PM by Wefro_froyas »

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 05:49:48 AM »
        It's for a local DIY Space agency and were making a banner for there main control room.
        Wow, that's quite a DIY project.   :D

Salmon Trout

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 11:14:28 AM »
        "Une Simple Etoile" which is supposed to be "A Single Star"

That means "A simple star" which doesn't really make any sense. Perhaps someone has been BabelFishing, because an "aller simple" bus or train ticket is what British people call a "single" (one way) ticket. Beware of dictionary translations!

A single or (lone) star would be "Une Seule Etoile".