Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Error re-installing Windows  (Read 4168 times)

digitaldavers

Topic Starter

Starter

• Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Error re-installing Windows
« on: August 14, 2012, 09:34:36 AM »
OK, decided it was time for a clean install of Vista (then upgrade to Win7) on my Dell XPS420 (as I have done many times).  The Restore disk claims "it can't find a disk that meets the criteria for installation".  I have a ThumbDrive with Win8 Preview on it and it WILL load, until it's time to restart - then I get a "Boot Manager not found" error ["Press CTRL+ALT+DEL"].  I've tried the "BootRec" command in the "install environment" but it hasn't done *poop*.  Any ideas where to go from here?

[History:  I had 3 1TB HDs.  The other two have data that I need to keep (backups, pics, MP3s, etc) so I disconnected them to try to simplify the install.  I have done this process several times without issues in the past.  The hanging point seems to be the errors listed above.  I also tried replacing the 1 TB drive with the original 750GB drive, but the same issues are there.]

My thinking is that if I could get it to "restart" after loading Win8 to complete the install process I could probably work thru it once I have a Windows environment to work with.  So, back to the Boot manager issue!

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Error re-installing Windows
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 11:02:42 AM »
As a free test, I'd burn a linux iso to a CD or DVD and try to perform an install on that HD. If say Ubuntu installs with no problems then your probably dealing with a SATA controller driver missing etc in which you would need to make a slipstream install disc of say Vista and then upgrade to 7 or of 7.

I ran into a similar issue with a Laptop, and to fix for this the SATA controller driver had to be part of slipstream.

If Linux also has issue then you know its most likely a hardware issue somehow, as for I have yet to find Ubuntu not detect a drive controller. On the laptop that had the issues i actually had Linux Ubuntu running perfectly fine on it, and this allowed me to test a few things while I was at it such as the HD for issues.

Ended up using nLite to make a slipstream disc after getting the controller driver that was required.

digitaldavers

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 11:51:38 AM »
LOL  Just what I finished doing.  Just restarted and the same error BootMgr is missing.  :(

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 08:41:36 PM »
Good evening digitaldavers and welcome to CH

If I am reading your post correct you are using a non-raid setup?

The OS is on only one drive and then data is on the other disc's. I think you may want to check your BIOS settings it is possible that the stat controllers were changed to ACHI / enhanced and not IDE mode. Plus make sure you do not or have not set sup any raid configurations but if this happened you would have know it but can't hurt to check it.

Also you may want to check that the primary HD is on sata 0 and not 1. But the strange part is windows 7 and windows 8 have native sata controllers so you not being able to install windows 8 is what made me think of checking the BIOS.

Please let us know how you make out, Mike 

Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

digitaldavers

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 09:41:14 PM »
Thanks Mike - right now I am currently transferring data from one of the secondary drives to the drive I was trying to install to.  Then I will switch it to the SATA 0 position.  Then I will check my BIOS.  I am currently using an 'on-disc' version of LINUX Mint to move files, and try to check it all out.  What got me is that it shows a bootmgr file on the disk!  It has been MOST frustrating as I have done this process many times before without problems.  I will post any/all results here.

David, aka digitaldavers

digitaldavers

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 09:39:10 AM »
OK, started fresh this morning.  Was able to actually get the Win8 preview loaded and working.  The work-around for the 'missing BOOTMGR error' was as it booted to press F12 to select where to boot from and then choosing the HDD with the OS on it.  It then did it's expanding, etc. and finished installing.  Now for the BIG test, trying to load the Restore DVD for Vista.  I am confident I am making progress.   :)

UPDATE:
Well, that didn't go as planned ... the restore process is still saying "the drive doesn't meet criteria for install"!   :-X  Gonna give it another go with the manual in hand and follow step-by-step directions.  I was able to re-install Windows 8 preview using the method explained above.

UPDATE 2:
OK, never thought of this, but am doing the upgrade [downgrade  ;D] to Windows 7 over Win8 instead of installing [factory] Vista and then upgrading.  Stand by for the results.  It *IS* copying files, etc! 

UPDATE 3:
OMG - just saw the Windows 7 logo on the screen after a restart!!! I *DO* think it's working! [peeing profusely!!!] :D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 10:15:41 AM by digitaldavers »

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 06:58:01 PM »
Good evening digitaldavers and welcome back to CH

I am very happy for you that YOU may be OK :D.

But I do have a very strong recommendation when it comes to MS OS (operating system and multi booting & if you are going to multi boot) always install the OLDEST OS first to the newest.

i.e install Vista then windows 7 then windows 8 and if you are going to install any flavor of Linux do that last a lot of the people on CH will tell you the same thing on multi booting.

When you you try install MS OS's backwards it ends up being nothing but an issue. Plus windows 7 & 8 have good boot manager and the Linux boot manager is even better yet.

Please let us know if you need anything else and please come back and let us know how you make out with the final product. Mike   

Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?