Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: iMac vs Gaming PC  (Read 3536 times)

Zim0n

Topic Starter

Beginner

iMac vs Gaming PC
    « on: August 16, 2012, 08:43:42 AM »
    Hello everyone!

Recently i decided on getting myself a new computer. However i am stuck between getting an 27'' iMac or a custom build pc, but currently leaning towards the iMac.
    I will be using the computer for gaming and searching the internet, but I also for schoolwork etc. Since I will mostly be playing World of Warcraft I think i should be fine with the iMac since the game is not as heavy as Battlefield 3 for example.
    I know in most cases a PC would be better for gaming, but i figured since I wont be playing any really heavy games it should be okay with either of the two.
    If i am getting the iMac, this would be the specs i'd be looking at:

3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    16GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    1TB Serial ATA Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive
    AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5

With these specs I should pretty much be able to max out World of Warcraft if im not mistaken?
    Will and iMac last for these type of games, or should i consider buying a PC instead?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: iMac vs Gaming PC
    « Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 09:09:58 AM »
    I am a PC guy myself, but dont let me bias your decision.

When it comes to World of Warcraft the one technical feature that has impressed me is that they engineer it to be as compatible with older hardware as possible. They dont make an expansion that means you need to upgrade from a dual to a quadcore for example as well as have to replace your 2 year old video card. While you may not be able to max out your settings over time, with this game you should be able to slowly select lesser and lesser graphics requirements over say the next 4 years or so and probably on the 5th year be looking towards a newer graphics adapter. My one friend has an older iMac with GeForce 9800 and he is able to run cataclysm on max settings with a frame rate between 20 and 60fps depending on what is going on in the environment that the graphics card is trying to render. However I have a spare laptop that is a Core 2 Duo and GeForce 7300 from 2006 that can only play the game on lowest graphics settings otherwise the frame rate is a crawling 4 to 6 frames per second which is unbearable. On the lowest settings with the GeForce 7300 on that older laptop I get 15 to 20 frames per second which is ok, but not the best.

The iMac is the way to go if thats what you really want. My preference is PC because I play lots of games and dont have to worry about compatability issues with the games I play which are designed for PC vs ported for Mac OS execution. I also am not an average computer user, I will mix and match parts to get better performance and save from lining Apple's wallet with their markup. I like PC's still being very universal in construction which makes them easy and cheap to fix as well as upgrade. If your talking security, other than Linux, Apple is the way to go in my opinion.

Zim0n

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: iMac vs Gaming PC
      « Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 09:15:57 AM »
      Thanks a lot for the reply, looking at specs however, I should be able to max out WoW even when Mists of Pandaria hits? Right now I own an 2.26ghz laptop with a crappy graphics card, so I am only able to play at Good with around 30-40 fps, and since WoW will be my main game I which to experience it at full capacity  :P