Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Multiple Solid state drives dont work!  (Read 3271 times)

Xaybiance

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Multiple Solid state drives dont work!
    « on: August 20, 2012, 07:56:36 PM »
    For some reason, my computer stopped recognizing ANY solid state drives.  I've plugged in 2 external USB hard drives and thumb drives, and nothing works anymore.

Please help.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Multiple Solid state drives dont work!
    « Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 08:12:04 PM »
    Good evening Xaybiance and welcome to CH

Please try supply just as much information

What OS (XP, Windows7 etc) and what bit version 32 bit 64 bit
    What SP (service pack) SP1 etc
    What model PC
    Does this only happen on the back USB port or just front etc
    Do you have USB mice or keyboards etc and if so do they work

Hope to hear from you soon, Mike   
    Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

Xaybiance

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 01:43:59 AM »

PC Model: Gateway 7200XL (desktop)

This happens when I plug in any USB Hard Drive to ANY USB port.

I'm using a USB keyboard and A USB mouse, both are working fine.

I just want to get 2 of my USB External Hard drives working on my computer again.

Models of External SSD's:
      SEAGATE 9sd2a4-500
      Hitachi 0s03452

Here's the story:
      I had the Seagate HD working perfectly for the past year on my computer.  I plug
      it in one day and I get the error message "USB device not recognized" at the
      bottom right of the screen.  I assumed that my hard drive needed to be replaced,
      so I bought a new one.

I transferred all my data onto the new Hard drive using my friends laptop. 
      (I found out later that the Seagate was working perfectly on other computers)

I finally plugged in my new hard drive, the Hitachi, into MY computer.  All my data
      was visible, but I couldn't open any of the files.  ( I got various error messages
      depend on the file)  I restarted my computer just to see if that would do the trick. 
      But alas, I was getting the "USB Device Not Recognized" again.

I noticed upon restarting my computer, if I had my Nook and Hitachi SSD plugged
      in simultaneously, I wasn't able to access my files.  If I unplugged my nook and
      restarted my computer THEN plugged my Hitachi SSD,  (In that order) I was able to access everything.

Now, what I'm really trying to do is put some of my audio books/Ebooks on my nook, which are
      currently on my external Hard drives.

This is where I'm lost.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

-Xay

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 02:21:16 AM »
      Good morning Xaybiance and welcome back to CH

Thank you for supplying the info. You may have a couple of problems. Your PC was built for windows XP and Gateway does not offer and drivers for Vista or Windows 7.

****Before you make any changes on your PC make sure you have your data backed up just to be safe ;D

Open the device manager on your PC and see if there is any yellow or red symbols if so what are they? If there is not plug in the hard drive into the USB port and now look at the device manager is there any yellow or red symbols now if so what are they? 

Your chipset on the motherboard is Intel 915G Express. Intel does not publish a driver pack for the 900 / 910 / 915 chips. I did check Gateways site and had no luck. But here is Intel's link for it to detect and update the drivers automatically http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect Please use at your own risk. But I have used the Intel UT many times before with no issues :)

What you are describing is a driver issue either not present or corrupt. Please let us know how you make out. Mike 
      Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?