Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Registering an old PC  (Read 5743 times)

whatmore55

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Registering an old PC
    « on: August 31, 2012, 03:12:13 AM »

I have a 10 year old desk top PC running genuine Windows XP Home which has never been connected to the internet. Yesterday when I booted up, I got a message saying that I need to register the computer online or by phone quoting a very long number. In return I would receive an access code to allow me to use the computer. It seems peculiar that I should get such a request after 10 years. If I can't get back into my PC I will lose a large amount of data and photographs. After all this time I doubt that the phone number quoted will still be in use but I will have to try this as a last resort. Can I get my PC connected to the internet as a temporary measure just to try and register it ?  Any ideas welcome please ? Many thanks

truenorth

Guru

Re: Registering an old PC
      « Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 09:49:21 AM »
      This is nothing to be concerned about. Just follow the stated methods available to register your Win. XP software> The phone number should still be accessible and will be an automated procedure. If you are able to establish an Internet connection on that specific computer it can be done very quickly there also. It is irrelevant as to the time interval that has past. The software is programed to be registered when 1st used. Make sure that you have the registration number handy when you initiate the registration process. Ensure that the access code given is retained in a manner where you can find it again should you need to do so.truenorth

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 01:54:57 PM »
      Use the phone # provided...
      As far as your data retrieval goes Windows will just cease to work properly ...however all your stuff is there...so not to worry,

Slave Drive Tutorial...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

whatmore55

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 03:24:40 AM »
        In the end I did telephone Microsoft and went through the lengthy process of entering 9 blocks of numbers. The reply was that my PC had possibly been hacked and that I contact the PC manufacturer. Tiny computers went out of business many years ago. Since my PC is not connected to the internet, I must have introduced a virus via one of my memory sticks. I managed to start windows in safe mode which enabled me to get back some vital data and I then tried system restore to an earlier date. This did not work. Presently I am downloading anti-virus, malware, etc in the hope that I can put them onto the old PC. Is this possible in safe mode ?

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 03:33:33 AM »
        Good morning whatmore55 and welcome to CH

Now that Patio helped you with MS if you think you have a virus alot of them will not install / set up in safe mode but you can with malwarebytes from here http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-0.html?query=malwarebytes&platformSelect=Windows&tag=srch%3Ba&searchtype=downloads&filterName=platform%3DWindows&filter=platform%3DWindows

When it is done installing it will want to update it self for the most up to date def's. But I know this PC is offline but you can run the MWB as is for now just do a couple of quick scans

Hope this helps, Mike

PS please let us know if you need anything else
        Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 03:46:57 AM »
        Please follow the instructions in the following link and post your logs in the thread you create (NOT in this thread):
        http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 09:36:27 AM »
        Did you read the info on slaving the HDD in my link above ? ?
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

whatmore55

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 07:40:12 AM »

Many thanks to truenorth, patio and hartbeatmr and Allan. The advice given by patio to slave my HDD is frankly a little bit too comlicated for a novice such as myself. No virus was detected on my computer by Malwarebytes or Super antispyware. I have yet to try CCleaner Slim, AdwCleaner and DDS as per the help sheet by evilfantasy.

Alternatively, if somehow I can get my old PC online, I will try and register it that way and see what happens. Phoning Microsoft earlier did not solve my problem.

Is it possible to LAN connect my troublesome desktop PC with my laptop which is internet connected ? Would this method give my old PC the internet connection which I need ?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 08:59:14 AM »
            What type of internet connection are you using in your location? Currently when you turn on your computer what is the detailed sequence of events that occurs (as far as it goes please)? Yes it should be possible to connect that computer to the internet (somewhat depending on your answers to the preceding 2 questions) as to how far and to what extent the connection will serve you remains to be determined. I think it will serve your concern about losing data if you try to read and follow the link patio has provided and if a part of the instructions are difficult to understand then tell us of the part and help will be provided.Patience will serve you well in this issue. Don't be shy or feel intimidated with your problem we are here to help as much as we can.truenorth

whatmore55

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 07:28:55 AM »
              I have found the original disc to reload windows and all the components when I first purchased the computer. In the long run, this looks like my easiest option. Presently I am in the process of saving all my important files to a memory stick and I am downloading the Microsoft Windows XP service packs. Many thanks to all who have taken the time to help me.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 07:38:07 AM »
                Good luck with that and if you run into any snags ring the doorbell and we'll come a runnin.truenorth