Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I've got the blue boot screen blues  (Read 4573 times)

exassaty828

I've got the blue boot screen blues
« on: September 19, 2005, 12:40:22 AM »
I have windows xp pro. I am at a loss. when i turn my computer on it boots to a full blue screen that says "unmountable_boot_...(something, i think "volume" is the last word). I can get it to go to boot options screen, safe mode, restore to last known good configuration, etc... Ive tried all of them and i still get the same screen. Ive tried booting to the winxp cd. but it tells me "boot to atapi cd rom: failure". Ive tried hooking up the HD to another computer and it wont boot at all, it just stays a black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left corner.
I would like to just do away with xp once and for all and stick to windows ME. How do i format and start over? thanks

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: I've got the blue boot screen blues
    « Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 12:43:51 AM »
    exassaty828
    I would like to just do away with xp once and for all and stick to windows ME. How do i format and start over? thanks

Why on earth would you want to replace Win XP with Win ME ?

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Mac

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 03:49:40 AM »
    I have windows xp pro. I am at a loss. When I turn my computer on it boots to a full blue screen that says UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME.

I can get it to go to boot options screen, safe mode, restore to last known good configuration, etc.

I've tried all of them and I still get the same screen. I've tried booting to the XP CD but it tells me "boot to atapi cd rom: failure".

I've tried hooking up the HD to another computer and it won't boot at all, it just stays a black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left corner.

I would like to just do away with XP once and for all and stick to windows ME. How do I format and start over? Thanks.

Seems like a pity to do such a thing. If you Google for UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME you'll probably come across the answer on ComputerHope.

However you ask, "How do I format and start over?" so I just need to know some more about your hardware/software setup.

(I used to use ME on this computer until I fitted a new drive and installed XP Professional. The first thing I had to do was to fit more RAM. So if you haven't done this then this could be part of the problem. My old drive gave up the ghost after four years use with ME.)

Is your original ME installation an OEM installation or do you have an MS ME CD?

Is your XP CD a full or upgrade version, and does it have SP2?

(All XP installs run better when a clean install can be done with an XP SP2 CD rather than adding SP2 on top of other software which may not be entirely compatible. If your XP CD doesn't have SP2 you can easily slipstream SP2 together with your XP CD and burn an XP SP2 CD using AutoStreamer 1.0.33)

I really don't want that you give up on XP as it is definitely a better OS than ME, which is limited as to system resources.

But.

If your hard-drive is formatted to FAT32 just use your ME bootdiskette and run fdisk to delete the old partitions, make new ones, set the Primary DOS drive to Active, and re-boot to begin formatting.

If the old partitons are formatted to NTFS you can use the XP CD to delete them and then do the above.

If they won't delete, and some NTFS partitions can be stubborn, you can use this DELPART BOOTDISK

Also, rather than change the BIOS sequence you can use this bootdisk which will automatically re-direct the boot to the CD-ROM BIOS BOOTDISK

The real 'secret' of maintaining an operating system is to partition the drive, set it all up as you would like it to be and then make a drive image of the C: drive, so that you can easily restore when you have a serious problem.

So let us know which way you want to go and give as much information as you can and we'll be pleased to try to assist you.

Click on the link below for more info.
    « Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 03:52:44 AM by Mac »

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 05:44:33 AM »
    exassaty828

Why on earth would you want to replace Win XP with Win ME ?

dl65  ::)

;D

exassaty828

for MAC Re: I've got the blue boot screen blues
    « Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 06:24:29 PM »
    thank you mac for responding to my post.
    my ME installation is a from a CD.
    My XP installation is a full not a upgrade and it is not SP2. It is a burned CD from a friend. I installed XP onto the hard drive that I'm reffering to from that burned CD. It is a NTFS partition  The computer wont boot to the floppy or the cd-rom. it wont go into safe mode.
    Also, Im XP stupid, i downloaded the things you had on your reply to me but how do I use them. If you could just step-by-step me thru the process or maybe get me started with some detailed instructions I'd be very grateful.
    1 more thing, the hard drive that Im having the XP trouble with is not hooked up to my computer right now. my ME drive is what Im using right now. How do i make the downloads I got from you accessible for my sick drive if I cant get it to boot to anything. sorry for all the questions. Thank you for all your help.  

GX1_Man

Re: for MAC I've got the blue boot screen blues
    « Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 06:34:13 PM »
    thank you mac for responding to my post.
    my ME installation is a from a CD.
    My XP installation is a full not a upgrade and it is not SP2. It is a burned CD from a friend.  

Well, in 30 days you are going to be SOL, or he is if he never registered it. Go to the Microsoft web site to learn about product activation, etc. Please keep in mind that this use is illegal. :o

The ME installation may be legal. Do you have the original CD and the COA? We can go from there.

Nancy_O

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 03:37:59 PM »
    I'm going to agree with xman 1 as thati s what happened to me.  After thirty days if you don't activate xp it will lock up your computer.  I am having a problem with starting over because of this so.....either get yourself a new xp cd or try your ME again!

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 04:15:20 PM »
      W2k has no activation registration hoops to jump through.

merlin_2

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 04:23:21 PM »

ranae

trying to low end format
      « Reply #9 on: September 30, 2005, 07:00:20 AM »
      im running 98' and need to wipe it out and start over. how? i have xp to put on will it work.

12.6 gb

5.08 used

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2005, 05:10:47 PM »
      Please start a new thread. This one may have reached the end of it's lifespan.   :o :o :o

merlin_2

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2005, 05:19:53 PM »