Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Possible spyware?  (Read 1971 times)

Jon L

Possible spyware?
« on: September 30, 2005, 02:33:48 PM »
Recently my computer started acting up.  It often seems to be doing something when simply sitting idle.  Also, when I click on search results (usually from google) i get taken to advertisements for various products and never to the sites I actually click on.  Also, when i ctl+alt+delete, there is no explorer or systray. I don't know if this is related, but it began about the same time.  Ive run antivirus (which turned up and deleted infected files) and ad-aware and nothing has remedied my situation. any ideas???

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Possible spyware?
    « Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 03:12:39 PM »
    Jon L... Please post your issue in the correct place .......
    "Computer viruses and spyware "
    You will get answers there.

dl65
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

merlin_2

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 03:14:12 PM »
    Have you got remote access/msn messager enabled?or any peer to peer programs......like bearshare/blubster/kazza/etc.......what operating system .........is the next question.....

Fordtruckmaniac

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 01:33:00 AM »
    Recently my computer started acting up.  It often seems to be doing something when simply sitting idle.  Also, when I click on search results (usually from google) i get taken to advertisements for various products and never to the sites I actually click on.  Also, when i ctl+alt+delete, there is no explorer or systray. I don't know if this is related, but it began about the same time.  Ive run antivirus (which turned up and deleted infected files) and ad-aware and nothing has remedied my situation. any ideas???

In case you do come back here for a reply.

What Anti Virus and spyware are you running, what OS?

If you haven't got it, get Avast in it. I had the same issue on a computer I was tinkering on. It loaded 14 pages in one minute, and I did nothing but set and watch it. I had not even opened a web page. It just took off on its own. It was all ad junk.

Get Avast Home (its free) antivirus in it, Adaware, Spybot, CrapCleaner(CCleaner) .  Spybot and Adaware work good together, tag teaming the spyware and adware. I had another AV program in the computer that did not do the job. Avast busted up the Trojans I had and broke the computer of loading pages by its self.

You can grab all these which are freeware, at www.filehippo.com .
    « Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 01:36:26 AM by Fordtruckmaniac »
     Fordtruckmaniac