Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: On board/Integrated Video Card  (Read 3241 times)

Old_Curmudgeon

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    On board/Integrated Video Card
    « on: September 11, 2012, 01:40:43 PM »
    Hi,  I am only able to boot my computer up in VGA mode (pressing F8 while booting, selecting VGA mode).  Also can get to Safe mode but it doesn’t recognize my regular password so I have to use an unpassworded administrator account that I set up a while back.  But that’s a different problem.).  Device Manager has a Video Controller as a yellow question marked Other Device.  In the past I have read about uninstalling a device in DvcMgr and rebooting to allow the computer to find it and install it again.  Should I try this or will I loose my video entirely?

I have gone to the Gateway/eMachines site and downloaded the appropriate video driver program (29MB folder with a setup program and other files).  Should I run this before or after uninstalling the disabled Video Controller?

Should I do something else entirely?

Computer:
    EMachine T6524 circa 2005
    ATI Radeon® Xpress 200 (PCI-Express® )
    Windows XP MCE SP3

Device Manager:
    -Yellow Question Mark – Other Devices
       Video Controller (VGA Compatible)
       Device Disabled (Code 22)
       Driver: Provider-unknown; Date-Not available; Version-Not available; Signer-Not digitally signed.
       Driver Details: No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device.
       Device Instance ID:  PCI\Ven_1002&Dev_5954&Subsys_7141162&Rev_00\4&D623FAE&0&2808

-Digital Adaptor
       Zone Screen Virtual Display Driver  (My note: this listing is OK in DvcMgr.  I don’t know if this is related or not.)

History:

I had installed an ATI Radeon X300se in 2005 to have 2 monitor capability (and had the BIOS selection to use it instead of the onboard video port).  In 2009 I replaced the ATI with a GeForce 8400GS.  (I ran a program from ATI to delete its drivers so this probably deleted the onboard ATI drivers as well.  A guess.)  September 2012 I got a gray screen when booting to Windows.  I reseated the GeForce card and the RAM.  I connected a monitor to the onboard video port and disconnected the monitors on the GeForce card.  I got a black screen and cursor.  I was able to view the POST and entered BIOS setup to enable the onboard video port.  It booted to a gray screen.  I removed the GeForce card entirely and replaced the power source and still booted to a gray screen.  I went into the startup selection (F8) and selected Safe Mode.  It booted successfully to Safe Mode.  I ran AVG and Ccleaner.  Still booted into a gray screen.  I booted into F8 and selected the VGA Mode and successfully booted into Windows.  This is pretty much where I am at the moment.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Mike

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: On board/Integrated Video Card
    « Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 05:20:51 PM »
    1.  Are you saying that the PCI-e graphics card & the onboard video result in the same "gray screen"?
    2.  Have you tried a different monitor?

Old_Curmudgeon

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 07:30:10 PM »
      Yes both the GeForce PCI card and the Onboard video card boot up gray.  I have not tried to boot the GeForce in VGA mode.  I'd like to get the computer functioning basically again before messing with the GeForce card.

Yes, I have tried two monitors, both boot up to gray or to VGA mode.

Thanks,
      Mike

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 09:18:21 AM »
      What exactly do you mean by a "gray screen"?  To me, it means there are no colors displayed at all, at any time.
      I think you mean the pre-Windows screen is normal "gray" & Windows is VGA only.

Getting drivers for the gForce card is easier, since we don't know what the onboard video controller is.
      nVidia uses the same download for all:  http://www.geforce.com/drivers