Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 2 PC's with USB cable ..How?  (Read 3750 times)

kiko

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    2 PC's with USB cable ..How?
    « on: September 11, 2012, 09:47:26 AM »
    Hi all people .

I have been trying for a while but cannot join 2 Pc's together and although many sites online say I can do this easy ..I cannot ,,,,maybe its just me ,......

what I have is ......

Computer A , a Dell running Win XP this is the main one and connect through an ethernet cable to a small D-link box to broadband ....USB 2.0

Computer B .....A Compaq ...also running win XP ,..not connected to anything , but would run onlie OK if i transferd the connection over ., USB 1

I also have a USB netwoking cable from BELKIN , i belive , wich is USB to USB 2.0

It would be best if I could actually share the internet connection between them but failing that the at least send files between one to the other .....

The idea is that to stop the kids bugging me they can use the other computer (compaq) so I came up with the brilliant idea of joining them together so i dont have to upload games save them on a Memory stick then manually put them into the other one ......

ANyway no matter what I do I cannot make any computer see the other one ....i try it from both ends and have the same software on both computers ......

Question ,, what is the best way of doing this ?
    Maybe its just a different approach ?

But thanks for trying in advance .....
    You may have to reply using small words for me ,,,..... :-\

Ryuk

Adviser

Re: 2 PC's with USB cable ..How?
      « Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 10:36:13 AM »
      You sure its USB to USB. Also is the driver installed? 

kiko

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 11:36:39 AM »
        I think so ... but Im really not sure ,i will check and maybe just do a complete re-install to make sure..

kiko

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 12:08:18 PM »
          Now I have a better idea , some one point me in the direction of a cable and software that will do the job and i will have a look at that instead , it may be quicker and simpler for all ( me and you ) in the long run .....Deal?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
          « Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 11:47:29 PM »
          What ISP modem and router model are currently being used? The WAN port is better and widely used nowadays.

truenorth

Guru

DaveLembke

Sage
            • Certifications: List
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 07:48:42 AM »
            To add to the cross over cable you will have to setup the computer that is connected to the modem to internet to act as a gateway for the other computer that is connected via cross over cable. This is an unusual setup for DSL or Broadband but would work. I setup a setup like this for a dial-up user who had 2 windows xp computers that they wanted both to be online at same time competing for the 56k bandwidth vs just 1 system.

If you have DSL or Broadband, I would buy a router that has 4 or 5 network ports, and then connect Cat5 cables from both systems to the router. This will allow for the computers to operate online independently.

The problem with a cross over / ( internet sharing ) gateway setup is that the system that is acting as the gateway has to be running for the computer sharing internet thru it to operate online!

As far as PC to PC communications over USB, I have only seen USB used for transferring files from PC to PC similar to the old LapLink setup.