Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wifi vs. Powerline adapters?  (Read 3200 times)

shellyesmalls

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Wifi vs. Powerline adapters?
    « on: October 13, 2012, 08:28:53 PM »

Trying to find a good networking solution because I am in a long house and the cable/wired router is in the front and I am in the back and worried about range speed of Wifi. I am looking at these Powerline adapters:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Actiontec---500-Mbps-Powerline-Home-Theater-Network-Adapter-Kit/5215483.p?id=1218625358741&skuId=5215483

or

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Tp-Link+-+TL-PA211+AV200+Mini+Powerline+Starter+Kit/4359873.p?id=1218475570165&skuId=4359873&st=powerline&cp=4&lp=5

Anyone use these or Powerline? How is Powerline speed?

Powerline seems cheaper then a good N router and for my house might be more stable, right?

These powerline adapters are homeplug certified, but the non homeplug certified are cheeper, but the homeplug ones seem faster what dose homeplug really mean?
    The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war.
    Douglas MacArthur

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Wifi vs. Powerline adapters?
    « Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 08:54:03 AM »
    HomePlug is a standard that ensures compatibility between products from competing manufacturers, I think (not that I've tried mix and match).

I use HomePlug AV devices around my house - lounge, bedroom, loft and garage - and they work really well.  Speeds are definitely faster than wifi.
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos