Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Install a driver for your Network Adapter  (Read 17491 times)

02bin3

Install a driver for your Network Adapter
« on: September 24, 2012, 05:27:29 AM »
Recently I purchased a new desktop Lenovo IdeaCentre K410 computer.  It came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit which I changed to Windows 7 Professional 64 bit with a clean install.  When I tried to access the internet, I got the following message:  Install a driver for your network adapter.
There is a disk that came with the computer that is labeled:  Lenovo Win7 Drivers Pack V2.7 for Consumer Desktop
and also says:  The drivers contained in this package is legally licensed ONLY when bundled for sale or use with Lenovo PC.  Cannot be used on other computer.
In reading the directions in the pamphlet that came with the computer I got the impression that this was to be used in conjunction with a Recovery.  I am assuming that the driver that I need is on that disk, however, being a chronically cautious type, I am leery of using it since I upgraded the OS.  If I do try using this disk what do I look for to install only what is needed?  Or if using it isn't recommended how do I find out exactly what driver I need and is it possible to download onto a CD with my laptop and then install it onto the desktop?  Thank you

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Install a driver for your Network Adapter
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 05:31:51 AM »
You can install drivers at anytime...
Open the CD in Windows Explorer.
The driver/s you need are LAN/Ethernet and /or WLAN.

Double cliking the correct one will start the install...re-boot after it finishes.
The Win7 Driver is proper for both versions of Win you have...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

02bin3

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 08:10:30 PM »
Patio, there are 129 files on this disk and none of them are labeled LAN/Ethernet or WLAN.  Many of the files are just multi digit numbers and when I hover the cursor over them, they really don't tell me anything about what the file is for.
         thank you,

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 08:29:06 PM »
Then IBM it seems had a bad idea...you can go to their site...choose support and downloads...then enter your Model # and OS and DLoad the ones you need.

02bin3

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 08:35:14 AM »
I did as suggested and found the needed file, Realtek LAN Driver h1100043.exe, and then I checked back on the Driver Disk supplied by Lenovo and found a file labeled:  h110043.  When I tried to run it as administrator all I got was a black window with lots of white writing that went flying by that said checkdir error, cannot create FAQ, unable to process, etc.
If I download the needed file from Lenovo, can it be downloaded to a Flash Drive or a CD on my laptop and then install it to the desktop from either one of those choices?   Thank you,

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 09:12:30 AM »
Sure...
Flash drive or CD...whatever's easiest...

PS are you viewing that CD's contents in Windows Explorer ? ?
If so and it's only numbers for file listings then Lenovo is really dumb...

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 11:45:46 AM »
Lenovo is not the only one that renames driver files, Dell & HP do the same.  Realtek uses integrated download files for all their chipsets (i.e. 1 file for all LAN chips, 1 file for all audio chips).  Filename is Install_Win7_7061_07272012.zip
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=7&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

02bin3

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 06:53:19 AM »
Thanks for all your help.  I did manage to download the driver to a flash drive and then downloaded it to the new computer, however, when I started the computer early this morning to take advantage of my "free" time on Hughesnet in order to download all the big updates for Norton and Windows, all I got was a black screen with the words: No Operating System   I shut it down, waited a minute & started it up again, and again it said:  No Operating System.  I shut it down again, waited a minute, and then it started like nothing was wrong?????  I proceeded to the internet and did downloads for 2 hours (Hughesnet is SLOW) and during that time the Windows downloads and installations required multiple re-starts and it was fine.  Is there a logical explanation for this No Operating System message I got or should I not look a gift horse in the mouth and forget about it?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 12:02:46 AM »
Make sure there are no memory card inserted or CD on your optical drive.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 06:06:48 AM »
As I told you in your other post, you need to change the bios boot order. I'm going to lock this thread since you've started a new one about this specific new problem.