Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC Hangs With Jarring Noise  (Read 6527 times)

HardwareTwitch

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    PC Hangs With Jarring Noise
    « on: October 25, 2012, 03:12:15 PM »
    Hi,

I have been facing this problem from past 2 months and more, problem is my PC hangs with Jarring Sound only while gaming.

My psu went faulty last week so i replaced it and thought it wud resolve the issue but this issue is still there, after replacing with new psu this hanging reduced a bit but is still a major issue.

So please help me out with this cuz i am not able to play any games i used to play easily with this pc earlier.

my pc is old and it play only those games which it used to ran with no error before so the reason can't be that i am using specs below game requirements,may be ram faulty(no cuz i have used it to full capacity many times without gaming and freezing issue didn't happened then), could be some software conflicts or virus doing fresh install would rectify it etc, etc, pls help me tracing out the source of issue in order to resolve it as it is really frustrating.

pc specs:
    p4 631 cedar mill
    nividia 7300se/7200gs
    1.5gb ram

please guide me.Thanks

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: PC Hangs With Jarring Noise
    « Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 03:16:02 PM »
    Please do not post the same question more than once. I deleted the duplicate post.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 04:11:27 PM »
    I'll give you 3 things to test that may isolate the problem.
    As it is an older PC that was running your games fine the most likely suspects would be RAM, HDD, and power...not in that order.
    For the RAM DLoad and burn a bootable CD of MemTest (info on the site ) ...let it run a minimum of 1 hour...any errors at all and you have a bad stik of RAM.
    DLoad and run the Free diagnostics from the hard drive manuf. site...run the long test which takes awhile depending on drive size so do it at bedtime...again the info on making a bootable CD will be at the site...
    If no joy-joy with the above then borrow a power supply unit of the same or greater wattage and swap it in there to test...
    One...or all of these 3 methods should determine what the issue is...
    P.S. All the above are Free...
    Let us know...

P.S....I suspect it's the hard drive so do that 1st...if it is use it as little as possible if you want any chance of data retrieval.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

HardwareTwitch

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 04:30:41 PM »
      "for the duplicate post- sorry for that , i didn't knew what section this topic wud fit exactly -so i carried out duplicate posting"

I'll give you 3 things to test that may isolate the problem.
      As it is an older PC that was running your games fine the most likely suspects would be RAM, HDD, and power...not in that order.
      For the RAM DLoad and burn a bootable CD of MemTest (info on the site ) ...let it run a minimum of 1 hour...any errors at all and you have a bad stik of RAM.
      DLoad and run the Free diagnostics from the hard drive manuf. site...run the long test which takes awhile depending on drive size so do it at bedtime...again the info on making a bootable CD will be at the site...
      If no joy-joy with the above then borrow a power supply unit of the same or greater wattage and swap it in there to test...
      One...or all of these 3 methods should determine what the issue is...
      P.S. All the above are Free...
      Let us know...

P.S....I suspect it's the hard drive so do that 1st...if it is use it as little as possible if you want any chance of data retrieval.

Additional-i did cpu  and gpu stress testing but pc did not hang as it does in games.

for ram test(i doubt it)- cuz i have ran many programs simultaneously that used almost all of available physical ram and sometimes go beyond it(but nothing happened), so i guess it can't
      be ram.

for power supplies - i have not used good brands with this pc, i usually get cheap 450W power supply.
      since my games ran earlier with no trouble on these cheap psu's i believe it possibly may not be the factor.
      in case if theres possibility power supply not enough
      i run only basic computer peripherals
      hdd, gpu and motherboard so i doubt power supply wud be less.

i am thinking of reformatting my pc and doing clean install cuz i doubt some malicious software
      or driver incompatibilities may have arisen.

please point and assist me if i am heading wrong.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 05:17:40 PM »
      I'll paraphrase...

for ram test(i doubt it)- cuz i have ran many programs simultaneously that used almost all of available physical ram and sometimes go beyond it(but nothing happened), so i guess it can't
      be ram.

Yes it can...

for power supplies - i have not used good brands with this pc, i usually get cheap 450W power supply.

No comment...
      ============
      The one detail you didn't address was the health of the HDD...

As said above ALL of those tests cost you zero...up to you if you want to do them or not.
      A clean install may solve the issue...then i would be the one looking silly.
      Again...up to you.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 06:20:28 PM »
      Seems a bit silly to ask for advice if you're going to do the same thing anyway
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 07:43:35 PM »
      Good point .

HardwareTwitch

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 01:27:46 PM »
        Seems a bit silly to ask for advice if you're going to do the same thing anyway

I wudn't have seeked to forums for advice if i didn't need one, so please do not post unless you have some worthwhile insight regarding the thread problem in order to resolve the issue.

Ram Test-carried out as mentioned, nothing found

HDD test-passed, no fault there

PSU- i recently changed one, since i used the same kind of cheap psu's built b4 and i didn't had problem b4, so i kinda doubt it.

my current psu 450W:

http://www.zebronics.com/product-category/economy-series

So i have tried all the 3 options, but issue remains, any more insights or ideas wud be really helpful
        b4 i finally opt and try tedious reformatting stuff.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 01:58:23 PM »
        I wudn't have seeked to forums for advice if i didn't need one, so please do not post unless you have some worthwhile insight regarding the thread problem in order to resolve the issue.

No. I'm telling you you've already gotten plenty of good advice, and your responses seem to try their best not to follow them, but dismiss them. "It can't be the cheap PSU because I use them all the time" Is a downright silly response. Additionally, I'd argue that attempting to get you to stop wasting the time of both yourself and volunteers here helps everybody. Either come up with some reason besides you not Feeling suggested causes are the problem. Of course you don't think what is suggested is the problem. if you did, you wouldn't be asking for advice, would you? That said, let's go through the Original Post.

I have been facing this problem from past 2 months and more, problem is my PC hangs with Jarring Sound only while gaming.
        You never tell us what a "Jarring Sound" is. By definition all we know is that the sound is unpleasant. That tells us absolutely nothing. To some people, the computer playing country music could meet this definition. Personally, I think this is probably the last second or so of sound being repeated over and over, but that's just a guess. Already we've had to resort to guesswork.

My psu went faulty last week so i replaced it and thought it wud resolve the issue but this issue is still there, after replacing with new psu this hanging reduced a bit but is still a major issue.
        A Faulty PSU can often take the Motherboard or other components with it. This has already been suggested and weakly dismissed. eg.

may be ram faulty(no cuz i have used it to full capacity many times without gaming and freezing issue didn't happened then)

And then only after some insistence do you actually do a RAM or HDD test. In fact we don't even know for sure that you did. For all we know you have resorted to just saying that you tested it to get helpers to stop insisting that you do so, as if we have some magical elixir to find out what the problem is and we are just testing you with these questions and suggestions. That isn't what the questions and suggestions are for, they are for determining the cause, and the more cooperative you are in either following those suggestions or providing reasons better than "I don't think that's it" to said suggestions, the faster the cause of your issue can be found. To be charitable let's assume you did do the tests for HDD and RAM.

Now we just have to deal with the fact that this system had a faulty cheap PSU which you have now replaced with a new one. Somehow this comes up:
        PSU- i recently changed one, since i used the same kind of cheap psu's built b4 and i didn't had problem b4, so i kinda doubt it.
        But... didn't you just say that you had a Faulty PSU? Doesn't that count as having a problem before? Either way, I'd say either the old PSU fried something or caused some issue on the Motherboard, or the new one is not up to spec. Unfortunately there really isn't a way to test this. I'd do a chkdsk /r on the hard drive, though. You never mention how to did an HDD Test (Again, assuming you actually did). Some tools only confirm good S.M.A.R.T Status, but your issue can easily be caused by a  few bad sectors.

HardwareTwitch

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 03:59:20 PM »
          No. I'm telling you you've already gotten plenty of good advice, and your responses seem to try their best not to follow them, but dismiss them.
          RAM or HDD test. In fact we don't even know for sure that you did. For all we know you have resorted to just saying that you tested it to get helpers to stop insisting that you do so, as if we have some magical elixir to find out what the problem is and we are just testing you with these questions and suggestions.

The only reason i tried to skipped the options mentioned cuz as i said i am facing it from 2 months,
          i have been on various forums.. i did get somehow same advice diagnostic procedure but it didn't resolve the issue. Had i have been impatient i wud have reformatted and checked it way b4 but somehow i m clinging to it and really wanted to know why such problem is application specific only.

I had no intentions of ruining time and take advice which i do not intend to follow, its just i tried that b4 so just skip and lets dig into what other options i can explore regarding the rectification.

On my part,I ll try my best  to be more elaborate what i faced and what i did in response to it.

I think this is probably the last second or so of sound being repeated over and over

yes you got this right, at this stage pc hangs up stops responding and ultimately i have to restart it manually.

Ram Test-carried out as mentioned, nothing found

HDD test-passed, no fault there

already posted result for HDD and Ram test.

HDD
          Brand                                   -Western Digital
          Test Carried out                  - Quick Test and Extended Test
          Result                                  -Passed

Ram
          Result                                 -Passed

But... didn't you just say that you had a Faulty PSU?

MY older PSU
          Brand- Odyssey
          Power-450W

New PSU
          Brand-Zebronics ( http://www.zebronics.com/product-category/economy-series )
          Power-450W

THe older PSU which went faulty ran perfectly for 2 years running same gaming applications with no
          error.
          One cud assume that PSU maybe the reason but AFTER buying new ONE with similar SPECS

ISSUE-not resolved/remains
          one cud assume that maybe PSU is not the right section we are looking for the reason behind the situation.

I'd do a chkdsk /r on the hard drive, though. You never mention how to did an HDD Test (Again, assuming you actually did). Some tools only confirm good S.M.A.R.T Status, but your issue can easily be caused by a  few bad sectors.

already mentioned above

HDD test carried out by software downloaded from WD website and carried out  EXTENDED TEST
          which is for bad sectors(explained by the software itself when i ran the test)

Test Status-PAssed

AT the END
          any more insights or ideas wud be really helpful
          b4 i finally opt and try tedious reformatting stuff.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 01:19:49 AM »
          chkdsk does more than just scan for bad sectors. WD's tool is not going to find file system errors, for example, which can also cause the issue you are seeing. Same with a faulty Graphics card or a Graphics card that is overheating.

Another thing to try would be to cause the problem to occur, reboot, and see if there is anything in the event log about it.