Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Startup Folder  (Read 12958 times)

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Startup Folder
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2012, 11:11:32 PM »
Glad you solved the problem Gloops. :)

mathis.ws

Rookie
  • Mathis Consulting LLC
    • Computer Data & Web services - Mathis Consulting
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2012, 12:52:37 PM »
You do not use a Windows CD for System Restore.

You can and should use the Windows DVD if possible because it allows you to make the changes from the outside of the OS.  I find that using system restore from inside the OS can cause some unwanted problems like corrupting the user account that you run it from.  I have done them probably 20 times from the disk and 15 from the OS.

GLOOPS

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• NOPAIN - NO GAIN
    « Reply #32 on: May 11, 2013, 06:29:18 AM »
    Just a thanks here fellas!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #33 on: May 11, 2013, 06:42:11 AM »
    You can and should use the Windows DVD if possible because it allows you to make the changes from the outside of the OS.  I find that using system restore from inside the OS can cause some unwanted problems like corrupting the user account that you run it from.  I have done them probably 20 times from the disk and 15 from the OS.

There is no difference with either method for system restore as the same data is used...from the Win install.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

mathis.ws

Rookie
    • Mathis Consulting LLC
      • Computer Data & Web services - Mathis Consulting
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #34 on: May 11, 2013, 09:14:02 AM »
    @patio, I agree that the files getting executed are the same, however when you run them from a user account on the on that same mounted partition that you are restoring it is fundamentally different than running the same operation from outside the OS while the partition is still un-mounted.  Microsoft possibly could have done a better job with this if they made it more like chkdsk works where it flags the program to execute after the next reboot.  The only reason I bothered to bring it up is because I have had the user account I ran the system restore from get corrupted several times... this is particularly annoying if you run it from the only admin account on the computer or the customers account.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #35 on: May 11, 2013, 09:28:51 AM »
    The files being used are on the Win partition...wether or not you run the executable from the CD or from Windows is irrelevant.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "