Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Printer Sharing - Please Help!  (Read 2498 times)

Texgal

Printer Sharing - Please Help!
« on: October 03, 2005, 06:30:39 PM »
I have two computers that I am trying to connect to one printer.  The printer only has one port.  The first computer is a Dell Dimension DIM 9100 with Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002.  The second computer is a Dell Dimension 8200 with Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002.  The printer is a Dell Photo AIO Printer 942.  I have tried to use a Belkin USB Peripheral Switch but never got it working completely.  It would work with the 8200  but the 9100 would have problems recognizing the printer.  Do you have any recommendations?  I have also tried to set up a network with the network set-up wizard, but can't get the old computer to connect with the printer.

merlin_2

Re: Printer Sharing - Please Help!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 06:51:59 PM »
How is the network connected......the net map.....which is the sever....

Texgal

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 06:54:53 PM »
Not sure I understand what you're asking me.  I have the printer connected to the new computer and both computers share an internet connection through a router.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 06:58:51 PM »
does the other pc work on the net>the old one........did you try....clicking  the my network places icon......it has option to share folders/files/printers.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 06:59:34 PM »
    Texgal....Ok , but do you have the pc's setup to share files and a common printer ? Are you able to access files on the other pc?
    This may help you ....... http://www.geekgirls.com/windowsxp_home_network.htm

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 07:01:31 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Texgal

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 07:10:27 PM »
    I clicked on the network places icon and it looks like I could access files, but I can't.  I really just wanted to use the stinking USB switch.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 07:17:13 PM »
      Texgal.... Have you tried this ?

To share a printer, on the computer which is directly connected to the printer:

Click Start -> Control Panel -> Printers And Other Hardware -> Printers And Faxes. (Note: These steps will be a little different if you’re sharing a printer on a PC running a version of Windows other than XP. For example, under Windows Me, you click Start -> Settings -> Printers.)
      Click the printer you wish to share.
      Click Share This Printer in the Task Pane.
      In the printer’s Properties dialog, click the Sharing tab.
      Click Share Name and OK.

Make a printer accessible to others on the network by sharing it.

Once a printer has been shared you can access it from other computers on the network. To do so:

Click Start -> Control Panel -> Printers And Other Hardware.  
      Click Add A Printer.
      In the Add New Printer wizard, when asked whether the printer is a local or network printer, select the latter.
      In the next screen, select the option to Browse For A Printer and click Next.
      Select the appropriate printer from the list and continue with the wizard.

dl65  ::)
      « Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 07:18:04 PM by dl65 »
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 07:17:36 PM »
      load the drivers for it and then plug the beast in........

Fed

• Sage
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 02:11:28 AM »
        I remember you.  :)

When you installed the printer software on both machines did you have the printer 'switched over' to each respective machine as you installed them?