Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: can changing resolution cause vga card to fail?  (Read 3766 times)

malayo

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
can changing resolution cause vga card to fail?
« on: November 16, 2012, 01:03:01 AM »
on windows 8 pro 32-bit, i saw that the screen resolution somehow got lower (less than what i had configured before)

vga card is nvidia gt440

so i max it out and apply (should've wait a bit, big mistake) and got "input not supported" on blank/black screen

tried hard shutdown and during startup, it can view windows logo for a bit then the blank screen again.

so i tried pulling out the vga card and use the built-in vga and it totally won't work with 1 long beep, 8 short beep which means vga failure for AMI BIOS, hence the above (title's) question

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Experience: Expert
Re: can changing resolution cause vga card to fail?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 02:01:35 AM »
Usually if you lost your display as a result of exceeding the displays limits with video card going beyond what the display can render you can boot to safe mode and correct if your not given the display change with count down to accept the higher resolution, in which if not accepted it reverts back to previous setting.

BUT... If you have an Integrated GPU issue, thats not a good thing. I have only seen it once where an integrated GPU died, and it didnt just die right off, it started to cause the system to crash with blue screens randomly, frame rate would start to lag and system would lock up. And finally the system would no longer boot. Upon boot no post, just a black screen was its final death.

I thought my friend had a power supply dying so I leant a good one, that didnt fix it. He then gave it to me and I found that he fried his integrated GPU playing World of Warcraft PvP on his Athlon II x4 620 ( 2.6Ghz ) HP Tower that a BestBuy kid sold his wife as a gaming rig for her husband as a christmas gift. Had he installed a PCIe video card, and if the power supply had enough watts to support a video card upgrade, his system would probably still be alive.

Integrated GPU's aren't good for games in most systems, and they will roast to try to keep up with the demands, usually cooking themselves to the point of failure if the lag doesnt get to you first to upgrade to a better GPU.

I'd put the video card back in which will bypass the bad integrated GPU and get into safe mode and then save lower resolution setting, then logon normal, and keep a note to self that the integrated GPU is bad and a new motherboard may be needed down the road if the integrated GPU degrades and holds an address line hostage with a constant high signal etc.

malayo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 02:30:00 AM »
thanks for the reply
and i just couldn't get to recovery mode mashing F8 constantly. Beats me why would it not work

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 08:32:18 AM »

malayo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 06:51:57 PM »
thanks, when i back from work, tried to reseat the vga card & it boots normally on second reboot.

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 08:11:07 PM »
thanks, when i back from work, tried to reseat the vga card & it boots normally on second reboot.

Ok, make sure you give that article a quick read through. It's not as simple as pressing Shift+F8. That article explains what you need to click to get to the "safe mode" boot option.