Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PROBLEM :- HOW TO CHANGE USB " CURRENT READ-ONLY STATE- YES "  (Read 34782 times)

san

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    PROBLEM :- HOW TO CHANGE USB " CURRENT READ-ONLY STATE- YES "
    « on: December 17, 2012, 03:06:24 AM »
    I FACED A PROBLEM WITH MY USB DRIVE , I AM UNABLE TO FORMAT IT , IT SHOWS " WRITE PROTECTED DISK."
    and IN windows-dos shows that  -

DISKPART> attributes disk
    Current Read-only State : Yes
    Read-only : Yes
    Boot Disk : No
    Pagefile Disk : No
    Hibernation File Disk : No
    Crashdump Disk : No
    Clustered Disk : No
    DISKPART> attributes volume
    Read-only : No
    Hidden : No
    No Default Drive Letter: No
    Shadow Copy : No

thanks in ADVANCE......

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: PROBLEM :- HOW TO CHANGE USB " CURRENT READ-ONLY STATE- YES "
    « Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 11:44:08 PM »
    I have seen this issue before with thumb drives you get from a promo at a tech convention etc. Designed to be written to once and then read-only from then on with no ability to make into a useful read/write thumb drive for anything other than the original intent to run the program/presentation etc that the vendor was promoting.

I cracked a few of these open hoping to find a trace that was cut etc that disabled the WRITE to flash, as for some flash drives have the ability to disable the write feature by a switch, but the circuit appeared to be a single write design, then forever to be read-only from then on.

Is this a flash drive you bought or got for free from a business etc as a promo? If this is a flash drive you bought, verify that it doesn't have a write protect switch that is set to read-only.