Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Green light on at the back of my hp computer  (Read 5839 times)

Amyudix3

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Green light on at the back of my hp computer
    « on: December 27, 2012, 06:20:00 AM »

I shutdown my computer last night and I saw a green light from the back of my hp computer. It wasn't blinking or making any noise so I decided to ignore it and go to sleep. This morning I woke up and the light was gone. What was it? Ithere was no power outage last night or bad weather. I turned off y computer like every normal day and I saw the green light just on, and now it's gone. Should I be worried

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Green light on at the back of my hp computer
    « Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 07:51:14 AM »
    Most HP power supplies have a green LED light lit on them, but its always lit when power is present. Can you better describe the location on the back of the computer that this light was coming from?

[ Generally with most computers and other electronic devices GREEN = GOOD & *RED = BAD ]

*RED can also be a normal color indicator for hard drive activity, back lighting to keyboard on laptops etc, and some gaming motherboards glow red with multiple LEDs, charge indicator showing that its charging and not at full charge to be green etc, and so on.

Amyudix3

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 09:00:02 AM »
      It's like next to the cord where it connects the computer to the power plug. I just turned on the computer and noticed it on again. But last night it was on after I shut down my computer and disappeared this morning.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 09:05:18 AM »
      Have you opened up and read the User Manual yet ? ?
      It could be anything from a MBoard light to a network adapter...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 09:15:30 AM »

Are you completely sure its 'off', they are not very visible in bright day light.
      11 cheers for binary !

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 09:40:14 AM »
        In the location that you have indicated is is more than likely it is the light associated with the power supply (as has already been stated). What that light is indicating is the "availability"  of power (electrical 110v) to the power supply unit.Some computers have an on/off switch located on the power supply at the rear of the computer in close proximity to the green light you are seeing. The only time that normally that light would NOT be illuminated would be if the power cord were unplugged at either end or the aforementioned switch were turned to the off position.So as redd. is suggesting it should be on unless one of the conditions i have stated exists. Now as to your concern re can it be warning you of something wrong. If you can continue to use the computer whether it is illuminated or not then the answer is no. It is only an indicator and for whatever reason it and only it is behaving intermittently but by itself posses no problem to the computer's functioning.truenorth

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 09:55:02 AM »
        I'd still like to see her read the Manual...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 12:03:07 PM »
          Certainly wouldn't hurt to do so,truenorth