Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cloning Hard Drive to a partition  (Read 3976 times)

James1431997

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Cloning Hard Drive to a partition
« on: December 27, 2012, 09:01:32 AM »
Hi!

This Christmas, I added a 2TB Hard Drive to the 1TB drive already in my computer (as well as some RAM, but that is unimportant).
I wanted to reinstall Windows onto the old 1TB Drive, but keep an image of the new drive that could be booted until I was sure that all data was copied across.

I installed Disk 2 (names for simplicity's sake) and set it up with the Acronis software the drive told me to use (on the label on the physical drive) . I created two partitions, one 900GB big and the other occupied the remaining 963GB. However, each of the cloning utilities I tried to use would not allow me to clone Disk 1 onto a partition on Disk 2 - they both only showed Disk 2, not the partitions.

I have tried Acronis and EaseUS software, but both seem to have the same behavior.

Any help would be much appreciated.
James

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
Re: Cloning Hard Drive to a partition
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 09:54:26 AM »
I suggest you allow Disk 2 to be treated as single, un-partitioned, drive to do the cloning of Disk 1 to Disk 2.  Then, you use Windows 7's Disk Management utility or a third party disk management tool such as EaseUS Partition Master to partition the drive.  You can do this with Windows 7's Disk Management utility; reference: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/resize-a-partition-for-free-in-windows-vista/

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 12:29:48 PM »
You cannot use any cloning app to clone to a partition/HDD smaller than the subject drive...
This is probably why it's balking...
Either set a larger target partition on the new HDD or take soybeans advice above...
It can always be re-sized later...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

James1431997

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 01:00:18 PM »
Thankyou both for your advise.

I'll go and do it!