Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Stick with Windows 7 32-bit or upgrade to Win 7 64-bit?  (Read 8109 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Stick with Windows 7 32-bit or upgrade to Win 7 64-bit?
« on: May 24, 2013, 03:53:50 PM »
So here is the situation:

My system maxes out on 4GB of RAM and has 4GB RAM installed. I have been running Windows 7 32-bit for about 3 years now on this system only using 3GB of the 4GB.

Hardware is:
Biostar MCP6PB M2+ Motherboard

Athlon II x4 620 2.6Ghz running overclocked at just under 2.8Ghz CPU with FSB at 215Mhz vs 200 and 13x multiplier

Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800Mhz ( 2 x 2GB = 4GB ) RAM *Maximum supported by motherboard.

ASUS ATI Radeon HD5450 Video Card with 1GB DDR3

500GB SATA II HDD

90GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD

DVD-RW Optical drive

My wifes old system a Pentium E5400 was running Windows 7 64-bit and the motherboard died, and the current system Core 2 Duo E6600 I gave her as a replacement is running one of the Windows 7 32-bit licenses off a Windows 7 32-bit 3-pack that I bought. So her Win7 64-bit license is no longer in use and I was thinking of upgrading to Windows 7 64-bit on my system.

But here are my questions:

While I know that Windows 7 64-bit is the way to go for future computing and 32-bit will be a thing of the past, I am wondering if its at all worth it to get an extra 1GB of memory out of this current build?  ( I am thinking it will be a wash on the gain going from 32 to 64-bit )

Also I read something about 16-bit applications not supported under Windows 7 64-bit and I have some old games and software that I occasionally run on my Windows 7 32-bit build, would I need to now run these 16-bit applications within a dosbox type environment etc or would they still run in Windows 7 64-bit with xp compatability selected etc?

I also read that while I would get the full 4GB of RAM, since the data is 64-bits wide, it would consume more memory with each clock cycle, so would Windows 7 64-bit on 4GB of RAM run worse than Windows 7 32-bit on 3GB RAM?   ( To me it seems that if the data width in memory is 2x the 32-bits for 64-bits that the consumption may be double, and so while right now my system runs idle at 2GB free with 1GB at idle in use with Windows 7 32-bit, it should mean that 2GB is in use at idle and I would still remain at 2GB free at 4GB addressable, so there is no extra memory gain with Windows 7 64-bit? )

My thoughts and do you agree or should I upgrade to 64-bit on current build:

Thinking that maybe I should save this Windows 7 64-bit license for a system that runs on more than 4GB of RAM which would benefit far greater than current build, but I also dont have any intentions on upgrading hardware yet since what I have currently is plenty of processing power hardware wise for games etc, although the thought remains that I am not using my system to its full abilities running hardware that is capable of 64-bit at 32-bit and running at the 3GB memory limitation.

Was also thinking of installing another hard drive into my system for 32-bit HDD and 64-bit HDD for option at boot, but problem is that I only have 2 SATA ports and both are already in use, so if I did this, i would have to physically move SATA cables between drives -or- install a removable HDD bay and have 1 drive with 32-bit and the other with 64-bit.... but if there is no real advantage, i am thinking why waste the time messing with this.

Also feel free to share any other advantages or disadvantages of each 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7 if there are any that I havent stated here that I may not be aware of.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Stick with Windows 7 32-bit or upgrade to Win 7 64-bit?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 03:59:12 PM »
It's also probably using closer to 3.4 - 3.6 Gig...depends on RAM demand.
However if you plan on adding more RAM down the line for vid  editing or any intensive RAM apps by all means go for it...
Any current 32 Bit apps will run fine on it and you'll see an approx 12 -15% more quickness using true 64 bit apps...
Other than that stand pat with it as is.
As far as 16 Bit apps...some don't even run in compatibility mode but most do.
I just keep all those on my Win2K rig anyways so i haven't come close to testing which work...and which won't.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 10:16:38 PM »
While I know that Windows 7 64-bit is the way to go for future computing and 32-bit will be a thing of the past, I am wondering if its at all worth it to get an extra 1GB of memory out of this current build?  ( I am thinking it will be a wash on the gain going from 32 to 64-bit )
The computer has a 64-bit processor. What this means is that it has an entire operation mode and set of instructions optimized and designed for 64-bit usage.

if you run a 32-bit OS, you can NEVER use those features from within it. They are unavailable. The processor acts like a conventional 32-bit x86 processor and you get none of the added benefits of 64-bit. (being able to access more memory is not 32/64-bit specific insomuch as a license restriction MS has purposely put in 32-bit versions of consumer Windows versions (Windows 2003 Enterprise, for example, is 32-bit but can use up to 64GB of memory).

Also I read something about 16-bit applications not supported under Windows 7 64-bit and I have some old games and software that I occasionally run on my Windows 7 32-bit build, would I need to now run these 16-bit applications within a dosbox type environment etc or would they still run in Windows 7 64-bit with xp compatability selected etc?
Yes. Absolutely no pure DOS or 16-bit Windows Applications will run directly on a 64-bit Windows OS no matter what you do. (thus requiring DOSBox or another virtualization system). DOSBox gives them a better environment anyway, IMO.

I also read that while I would get the full 4GB of RAM, since the data is 64-bits wide, it would consume more memory with each clock cycle, so would Windows 7 64-bit on 4GB of RAM run worse than Windows 7 32-bit on 3GB RAM?   ( To me it seems that if the data width in memory is 2x the 32-bits for 64-bits that the consumption may be double, and so while right now my system runs idle at 2GB free with 1GB at idle in use with Windows 7 32-bit, it should mean that 2GB is in use at idle and I would still remain at 2GB free at 4GB addressable, so there is no extra memory gain with Windows 7 64-bit? )
Whoever told you this doesn't know what they are talking about. the Width of the data bus is how much can be transferred at once. Using the standard analogy of highway lanes, a 32-bit processor has 32 lanes, and a 64-bit processor has 64 lanes. a 64-bit processor run in 32-bit mode only uses 32 of those lanes. The rest sit idle. "data" doesn't have width. Only the bus. The idea that bus width directly correlates to memory consumption makes absolutely no sense. Some people say that Pointers become 64-bit, but the fact is that the impact that has is so negligible, it's hardly worth mention.

Thinking that maybe I should save this Windows 7 64-bit license for a system that runs on more than 4GB of RAM which would benefit far greater than current build, but I also dont have any intentions on upgrading hardware yet since what I have currently is plenty of processing power hardware wise for games etc, although the thought remains that I am not using my system to its full abilities running hardware that is capable of 64-bit at 32-bit and running at the 3GB memory limitation.
Running a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit system is like running a 16-bit OS on a 32-bit system. There is an entire operating Mode and set of instructions that the processor is pretty much optimized for that sit's completely unused.

Personally I don't see what reason you would ever have to run a dual-boot with a 32-bit system- or reasons to run a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit system at all.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 11:49:42 PM »
Personally I don't see what reason you would ever have to run a dual-boot with a 32-bit system- or reasons to run a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit system at all.
Personally, I don' see any reason not to have a dual-boot  system. :D

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 12:01:48 AM »
Personally, I don' see any reason not to have a dual-boot  system. :D
Disk space and functional redundancy.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 02:45:06 AM »
Just to add to patio and BC's advice there, Windows 7 licenses are not 32 or 64 bit specific, it's only the media which is architecture-specific.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 01:41:53 PM »
Just to add to patio and BC's advice there, Windows 7 licenses are not 32 or 64 bit specific, it's only the media which is architecture-specific.

Are you saying that the same key I used for my 32-bit Win7 activation can be used to activate it against a Windows 7 64-bit install to run at 64-bit?

*I have both Win 7 32 3-license package and a single Win 7 64-bit license and 2 seperate DVD cases with the 32 bit in its case and 64 bit in its case. If it was as simple as using my 32-bit license key on the 64-bit disc to have 64-bit that would be really cool, but I cant see Microsoft making it this easy to go from 32 to 64.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 01:45:16 PM »
Are you saying that the same key I used for my 32-bit Win7 activation can be used to activate it against a Windows 7 64-bit install to run at 64-bit?

*I have both Win 7 32 3-license package and a single Win 7 64-bit license and 2 seperate DVD cases with the 32 bit in its case and 64 bit in its case. If it was as simple as using my 32-bit license key on the 64-bit disc to have 64-bit that would be really cool, but I cant see Microsoft making it this easy to go from 32 to 64.

As long as the license is valid for the same version - e.g. the license is for Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit and you have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit media - yes, that's correct.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 02:06:45 PM »
hmmm.... going to give this a try..   I only have Windows 7 Home Premium of both 32 and 64 bit packages. Would be realy cool if it works and I can essentially have 4 licenses activated as 64-bit if needed with the 3 licenses of the 32-bit package and 1 license of the 64-bit package.

I have a spare 1TB HDD from my old WHS build, which I brought my new WHS build down to 160GB storage because 1TB was way too much wasted space and would be nice to have more free HDD in my system since on my 500GB I only have about 60GB free with all the games installed etc.

Thanks for info everyone and clarifying details

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 07:01:29 PM »
Win7 keys are the same for 32 or 64Bit...as long as the version matches as Calum stated and your not running it on more than 1 PC atthe time you should be fine...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 09:57:12 PM »
VERY COOL!!!!    8)

Thanks for everyone's input on this

Going to hold off on the 64-bit upgrade until my new motherboard and 8GB of RAM shows up that I bought today. Will be migrating my Athlon II x4 620 CPU and Video Card to this new motherboard and hopefully buy the AMD FX 8350 for this new motherboard maxing it out in September as a birthday gift to self. So tempted to buy the 8-core CPU now for $201, but my wife works for school system and doesn't earn any money when school is out, so I must wait until Sept. Maybe it will go on sale for $150 or less before Sept. Gonna tuck away $40 a paycheck I think :P

So cant wait to have this 8-core 4Ghz Monster CPU as well as pair up the 8GB with another 8GB for 16GB RAM running Windows 7 64-bit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284&Tpk=amd%20fx%208350%208%20core%20processor&IsVirtualParent=1