Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Recent pronouncement by Wired re passwords  (Read 3684 times)

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

Recent pronouncement by Wired re passwords
    « on: January 04, 2013, 08:09:49 AM »
    I am as i post this link listening to an interview with the author of this article. It presents a point of view that i think may add to ones knowledge when addressing the subject of "passwords". While listening live i have found the actual print version and include it now so that you may evaluate the position of the author.
    http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/11/ff-mat-honan-password-hacker/
    truenorth
    P.S. Should you wish to listen to the actual interview it can be found on CBC radio program "Q" of Jan 4th 2013 10 am.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Recent pronouncement by Wired re passwords
    « Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 09:41:22 AM »
    I read the article and I think the author blows the issue up to something larger than it is.  According him, my answers to security questions on my bank account can easily be found on the Internet because I've put it out there somewhere.  I disagree.  This may be true for many Internet users but I don't believe it's true for me and, therefore, surely not true for numerous others.  For example, if had chosen a security question about the name of the first pet I remember as a child, the author is saying it can be found on the Internet because I've stated it somewhere (facebook, a blog, etc.) on the Internet.  But, he's wrong.  I have not.

In other words, I think the author exaggerates almost every point he makes.  If cracking usernames and passwords were as easy as he says, there'd surely be a lot more unauthorized accessing of banking and other financial accounts.  Banking websites are generally tighter on security than non-financial accounts.  Typically, access will be locked on the 3rd failed attempt to enter the password.  So, that effectively blocks a computerized password-cracking program from successfully learning the password.  And, getting the password reset is not as nearly as simple as, for example, getting a forgotten password reset on an Internet discussion forum.

The author says everybody now has all their files in the cloud.  Again, this is an exaggeration.  All my photos are on my hard drive, with most backed up on CD; none are in the cloud.

On the plus side, the author mentions some of the basic flaws of many Internet users such as weak passwords, using their email address (assuming not required) as a username and using the same password for many online accounts.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 09:43:23 AM »
    Soybean...
    Tell Sparky i said hi.... ;D
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 09:47:59 AM »
    Soybean...
    Tell Sparky i said hi.... ;D
    You guessed wrong.  And, I'm not going to say the correct name here.   :P

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 12:38:16 PM »
     ;D
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    « Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 01:14:21 AM »
    For security questions I don't even answer them correctly, I instead make another password. Even the most in-depth search of my history would not be able to discover that my answer for "What is your mother's maiden name" was something like "5%T_#34Nj"
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.