Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 8 installation  (Read 11132 times)

Phil-Logan

Topic Starter

Rookie

Windows 8 installation
    « on: January 05, 2013, 12:38:03 AM »
    I have a Compaq 615 laptop, currently running Win 7. Wanting to upgrade to Win 8 Pro, I successfully downloaded Win 8 which took about 5 hours. The installation seemed to go fine, but then I got the message "installation was unsuccessful, restoring your previous version". (Which it did). No explanation about the failed install. How do I get past this? Must I start the download all over again, or can I just redo the install process? I have already paid for the download and don't feel like paying again!

TechnoGeek

Re: Windows 8 installation
    « Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 08:48:01 AM »
    Did you run the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant first? Run that first; it will give a list of software that needs to be uninstalled before upgrading, software you will have to reinstall, and any other things that are known to cause problems. Look at the manufacturer's website (in this case HP) for your model and see if there are upgrade instructions from the manufacturer as well.

You should be able to reuse the download and redo the install process, but like I said first check the manufacturer site and the Upgrade Assistant.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 09:05:03 AM »
    Also if the DLoad took 5 hours you may want to grab a fresh one from someone with a high speed connection...common errors in the install with funky DLoads would be a CRC error for example.
    The key you purchased will work on any new DLoad.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Phil-Logan

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 12:09:46 AM »
      Yes, I used the Upgrade Assistant. I have now been able to install. I think the problem is that during the download, the Assistant gave a message "Feel free to use your PC". So I assumed I could also do this during the installation - oops, wrong. So I closed every app in sight before doing the installation, and it worked.

Though I'm not overly excited by the new OS!
      Thanks again.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 07:35:44 AM »
      Good to hear you got it running...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "