Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: not enough memory in EXCEL  (Read 5440 times)

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

not enough memory in EXCEL
    « on: April 19, 2012, 10:28:37 PM »
    I have an EXCEL workbook that I have been using for years. When doing some editing today on a sheet the 'not enough memory' message came up. I tried to delete some sheets and charts no longer needed but could not do that. This computer has Windows 98 and I am using EXCEL2000

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: not enough memory in EXCEL
    « Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 09:52:39 AM »

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 07:25:12 PM »
      Thank you soybean. It explains the limits in Excel and I appear to have exceeded one of these limits. I had got over the problem temporarily by deleting some charts. However, today when I created a new chart, links to the Sheets disappeared and I cannot find them. It looks as though today's edit is lost and I will have to go back to the .bak version. I will then implement what is advised in that very useful link you provided.

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 09:36:39 PM »
        I have made some progress since the last post. I used in Edit the Delete Sheet to remove some additional charts. The Sheets were still not on the bar so I closed the file and then opened it again, presuming that process would clean up the memory and other activities. That worked. So I now have a worksheet with the updated editing, and knowledge of how to prevent the problem re-occurring. Thanks, soybean.

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 07:32:21 PM »
          "Not enough memory" has cropped up again in this Excel 2000 workbook. I started to Move some of the Sheets to another workbook, as I did last time. However, I tried to resume that process today but when I loaded the spreadsheet the message came up, a wineglass appeared and the spreadsheet did not load.

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 10:40:36 PM »
            I went to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305498 and carried out the procedure to refresh Office as this was supposed to fix the memory problem. It did not for my Windows 98SE system and Excel 2000.