Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: wmv.z01 ....z02, etc & zip advice on suitable extraction tools and how to???  (Read 18622 times)

boweasel

Rookie

I have done some tests, and subsequently some research. 7zip does not handle multipart zip files created by other compression utilities including WinZip. I apologise for misleading people by saying anything different.
    Thank you for your research and your reporting. 

I actually found a source forge forum and then spent 15 minutes trying to register.  When I finally found it and entered my information, I never got a confirmation email.  So I emailed them, explaining the multi part archive problem and the registration issues.

I never got a response.   But thank you again, for yours.  I was beginning to feel like the kid who knows the next door neighbor is an alien, but nobody will believe me.  Good 'digging' on your part.  I'm disappointed I never found the information myself.

boweasel

Rookie

Although i don't have any native zipped files to test on you may want to try WinZip...as i said it's worth a shot.

WinRAR would be another alternative to try as well.
      Both have a Free/trial version.
      As I already mentioned, I have, ultimately, managed to extract the files using the trial version of WinRar.  I have been told that the trial version of WinZip only lasts for so long before it ceases to work, and I assume the same thing about WinRar.  I was merely looking for a free alternative I could suggest, and I assumed 7Zip was it.  Lesson learned, and thanks for posting. 

Salmon Trout

I strongly suspect that the WinZip and WinRAR multipart archive formats are exclusive to them, and are going to stay that way, for fairly obvious commercial reasons.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      WinRAR's "evaluation period" never actually runs out.

7-Zip- the program- is perhaps the Archiving program I dislike the most. I consider it more a "sample" of how to use the 7-zip libraries, rather than a application in and of itself- and for that purpose it works well.

Personally I use PowerArchiver, which has worked quite well for me. Not free anymore, though. (It has no trouble opening multi-part zip and RAR files from WinRAR and WinZip).

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      This thread is long with text and short with understanding.
      We need a clear demonstration of how to ZIP and nUNZIP.
      Could a clever video help?
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTz_HOqhbW8t help?

Does that help?  ::)

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      Correct on WinRar...it just shows nag screens without registrgation...
      WinZip i'm not sure of but the last time i took it around the block i believe it stops approx. 1/2 of the features of the Full ver.
      At any rate glad you found a solution .
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "