Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't open computer case..need help  (Read 7664 times)

puffnstuff

Re: Can't open computer case..need help
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2005, 08:16:41 PM »
Should I enable large disk support??

GX1_Man

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2005, 08:26:55 PM »
Yes, always, unless you are running pure DOS, which you are not.

puffnstuff

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2005, 09:23:53 PM »
Okay...now I think I am getting paranoid about doing this wrong.  After I chose yes to enable large disk support and the choices came up, I was getting ready to chose #3  ((Delete partition or logical dos drive) but chose #4 (Display partition information)
The following came up:
Partition C:
Status A
mbytes 55821
System fat32
Usage  95%

Status  Ext DOS
mbytes  2798
Usage 5%

The extended dos partition contains Logical DOS drives.  Do you want to display logical drive information? (y/n)

I chose yes.
this came up:
D: System_Save
mbytes 2798
System  fat32
Usage  100%

Should I still choose #3?  I don't want to erase  the system_save.

GX1_Man

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2005, 10:11:40 PM »
Your computer skills are growing I see. The system.sav is where the Compaq info is hidden. No, do not delete that. In fact do not delete the primary partition unless you already have. If so, just create a primary DOS partition and set it active.

The ME is stored both on the hard drive in that small partition and on the CD. It identifies the machine model, etc. and loads appropriately. You have already said that the recovery CD did not work, and that was before your exploration. There is no need to go down that path again, unless you have a few minutes to kill.

Has ANYTHING changed in that computer in terms of components - RAM, hard drive, anything since new? Some Compaq models and other manufacturers too, had the setup keyed to the hard drive model and number, so savvy users couod not go around loading that restore information on other peoples computers. It is also set to only recognize a Compaq BIOS, etc.

I would indeed contact Compaq about a recovery CD that works if you have the model #, and the Windows key code (25 digits) that is/was stored on the hard drive and is also present on that CD in some folder somewhere.  I am assuming, and correct me if wrong, that there is NO DOUBT that it is the exact recovery CD that came with that particular machine. Some people have two Compaqs or more and get them mixed up. They must match.

If all else fails and Compaq cannot/will not help, you can install a new operating system. You said you had XP? If so, then delete all the partitions (no reason to save anything now, as your personal data is long gone) and make 1 primary partition and set it active. The XP CD will walk you through the install or here is a link:

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=1128543919

There is a LOT of information there to make it easy!

Since this is no doubt a legitimate Windows XP CD you will have the code to activate it. If not, it will cease function after 30 days, or not install. Make sure the CD is clean and look for holographic markings on it.

That computer can live. Does it have enough RAM? 256 will get you by, but 512 will make it better. If you have less than 256, you might think about a used WinME off of eBay for a better experience.

Hang in there. I just need some info. Please answer the questions posed.

puffnstuff

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2005, 12:17:17 AM »
Well, I did everything you suggested and it all went OK until I tried to boot up with the recovery CD.  Everything did the same as it did the other day... I selected the option to restore it to the factory settings.
It  went through all the mumbo jumbo about removing all the info, etc and I said yes to go ahead with it.  It stops and I get a blue screen with the words at the top that says Quick Restore Error #102.9  at the top and  in the center of the screen "Please contac Compaq Service or your dealer."    I click OK and then those words go away and this comes up  Working...   with the three dots  and never goes any further.

I did only assume the recovery CD was for that computer as it was the one my sister gave me.

I do have the OEM disk for the XP  with the 25 digits and I checked and it does have the holographic markings on it.   Will I still be able to use it on another computer after I use it?  Also, if I go with that option should I go back and erase the system_save part?

I do have a windows ME upgrade disk that I used on my other computer.  It also  has  the 25 digits and the holographic markings on it.     Would that work??
When you said to get a  used WinME off of eBay, I'm assuming that you meant the disks.

I think that I answered all the questions..if not, let me know.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 12:18:15 AM by puffnstuff »

GX1_Man

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2005, 04:40:01 AM »
One copy of Windows is linked to one machine per Bill Gates. It must be activated within 30 days or it will not run. Looks like you may get to buy a second copy!

Just another good reason for Linux. No restrictive licensing. One copy for every machine you own, regardless of quantity. And most are free too!

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #21 on: October 10, 2005, 04:49:27 AM »
    W2k has none of these Micro$oft hoops to jump through.  ;D

puffnstuff

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2005, 05:48:30 AM »
    GX-1 MAN
    Just a quick note (in case you have to go to work or something toay and won't get back to me right away)  to tell you some of what I found out last night.  
    I got into the system_save section and found tons of files but that is as far as my computer know-how goes.  I am lost from there on.  
    I can get the directory list and open directories on down but don't know what to do with any of it.  
    The last directory I opened was D:\CPQS\TOOLS  and when that directory opened there were tons of files.  I couldn't find anything that said setup but really don't know the right place to look.
    Is this any helpful news?

puffnstuff

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2005, 06:00:41 AM »
    GX1_MAN
    If it is a set of new disks, how can they know if you used it more than once.  I have a ME update disc and I thought for sure that I used it more than once.
    The reason that I ask is because we had a laptop when I work that had everything we needed instaled ahead for us.  Enclosed with the paperwork was a brand new OEM of Winows 98SE attached to the manual.  Everything was blister sealed so I'm almost positive that it was not installed on the laptop we received.  
    Would I be able to use this disk and then maybe upgrade it later?  I hate to use the XP disk in my sister's computer in case I need it later for my own laptop (which orginally has the XP.)
    I also still have a copy of the XP upgrade disk that the other owner used.
    I hate to have to ask you all these question but you have been so helpful so far..it seems you know EVERYTHING!

GX1_Man

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2005, 01:08:07 PM »
    That was a new "feature " of XP. One O/S disk per machine. If the other XP was activated already, you will not be able to activate this machine with it. Windows ME can be loaded physicially all you want, but legally only on one machine also. Eventually you will have to pay for XP if you use it - either on this machine or the other.

Mac

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2005, 03:48:55 PM »
    I just noticed this bit...

Partition C:  
    Status A
    mbytes 55821
    System fat32
    Usage  95%

With only 5% free-space you'll have a problem to run at all.

If you have a bootdisk with delindex.bat on it then you could boot to the A:\> prompt and type...

A:\>delindex run - and press Enter.

Edit: But not if there is XP on the drive.

That will clear a lot of junk off the drive which might give you a chance to boot it. If there isn't enough room for the swap-file it won't start at all.

You can also open delindex.bat and edit it removing the :: from the delete C:\_RESTORE folder line.

You might be able to start the factory re-install then.

You can always pre-format the C: drive using a bootdisk and then try the recovery followed by the XP upgrade but it is generally not a good idea to upgrade ME to XP without clean-installing.

You could equally use the '98 CD as qualifying media for the XP upgrade CD and do a clean install although you will need more RAM to run XP properly. 512 MB is the - practical - minimum.

If your XP CD does not have SP2 you can also slipstream it using AutoStreamer 1·0
    « Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 03:51:10 PM by Mac »

merlin_2

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2005, 01:51:39 PM »
    Boot pc to safe mode...hold down  either the>..f5/f8 key  on bootup.......what does the onscreen ......list......mention?

some cases have hidden screws in the feet of the pc<those rubber washers witch if you looked contain screws> most pc cases>>>>>> slide>>>>>>the old mac had one screw dead-center at the back of it.....and the case slid off....
    « Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 01:54:57 PM by merlin_2 »