Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Malware Bytes... antivirus???  (Read 5061 times)

fordee9r

Topic Starter

Rookie

Malware Bytes... antivirus???
    « on: February 17, 2013, 03:24:45 PM »
    When I got my new computer I purchased Malwarebytes (NOT the free version). I'm not sure if this also provides antivirus protection.  ??? Does anyone know for sure? If it does not, can you recommend a free antivirus program compatible with MWB?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Malware Bytes... antivirus???
    « Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 04:22:05 PM »
    MalwareBytes is not a full fledged anti virus app. It should be used in conjunction with one. There are many free good options including Avira, Avast, Nod, etc. You may also want to look at paid AV's and decide which is best for you.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 05:50:03 PM »
      In addition to Allan's comments. You certainly have not made a bad decision to have and use Malwarebytes on a regular basis in addition to any virus software you might use. Today i performed a routine scan with Malwarebytes on a computer that is running a free version of Avast anti-virus with all the latest virus definitions and in spite of that malwarebytes found 4 items not found by Avast.In addition an anti virus program should be installed to be running constantly when the computer is on so as to detect any malicious item before it can get on the computer. Malwarebytes can only be run at a user demand so it is not in a position to prevent an infection. Only to detect and remove it after the fact.truenorth

fordee9r

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 10:44:52 PM »
        Malwarebytes can only be run at a user demand so it is not in a position to prevent an infection. Only to detect and remove it after the fact.truenorth

The free version of MWB is an on demand version. The Pro Version I paid for runs constantly & has successfully blocked malware while I've been surfing.

Just thought you might want to know. Thanks to both of you for your input.

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 01:58:36 AM »
        The free version of MWB is an on demand version. The Pro Version I paid for runs constantly & has successfully blocked malware while I've been surfing.

Just thought you might want to know. Thanks to both of you for your input.

Regardless of whether it's the free or Pro version, MWB is NOT a replacement for a full anti-virus suite. It even says so on their website and on their forums (in responses from staff, not regular users).

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not meant to be a replacement for antivirus software. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a complementary but essential program which detects and removes zero-day malware and "Malware in the Wild". This includes malicious programs and files, such as viruses, worms, trojans, rootkits, dialers, spyware, and rogue applications that many antivirus programs do not detect or cannot fully remove. It is important to note that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts. In some rare instances, exclusions may need to be set for your specific antivirus product to achieve the best possible system performance.

http://helpdesk.malwarebytes.org/entries/20818081-does-malwarebytes-anti-malware-replace-antivirus-software
        http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=103380
        http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=88398

The differences between free and Pro:
        1. No real-time protection in free version.
        2. No zero-day threat protection in free version.
        3. No website protection in free version.
        4. No automatic updates in free version.
        5. No "fast" flash drive scans in free version.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 05:46:06 AM »
          fordee9r, I appreciate the distinction of performance that you have pointed out. I must confess i only use the free version so i assumed (often not the best thing to do) that the paid version behaved in the same manner. I do agree with the others that urge the install of an anti virus program as well. The critical point in that regard is to NEVER run 2 anti virus programs at the same time. truenorth