Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Where did your online alias come from?  (Read 10450 times)

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Where did your online alias come from?
« on: March 07, 2013, 08:07:39 AM »
Where did your online alias come from?

We all have them and very few alias' are derived from real names. So I thought that I would start up a thread where people could explain the birth of their online identity. Or perhaps interestingly do you remember why you gave yourself that name?

For example: My name came from dial-up internet, my parents were slow to embrace the broadband revolution (256kbps seemed so fast at the time), as a result I always had to go to friends houses and mooch their internet. As I began to introduce myself to more and more online communities it seemed only fitting that I give myself a name that reflected the lack of internet access. And so Accessless was born.

Not the most interesting story but maybe some of you have more entertaining stories.

reddevilggg

Expert

• Experience: Beginner
Re: Where did your online alias come from?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 09:28:36 AM »

Isn't there already one of...these?
11 cheers for binary !

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 11:53:04 AM »
Is there where?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 12:25:53 PM »
LNER A1/A3 Pacific No. 2506 Salmon Trout

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 01:32:18 PM »
On here it was originally because all I only came here for help. On other boards that I've visited I've created a user called "forum_reader", because they don't allow guests to view threads.
Where's MagicSpeed?
Quote from: 'matt'
He's playing a game called IRL. Great graphics, *censored* gameplay.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 01:37:30 PM »
I have got a zillion "online identities".

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 04:53:14 PM »
LNER A1/A3 Pacific No. 2506 Salmon Trout

Oddly specific any particalar reason for that train?

I have got a zillion "online identities".

Yes... Always best not to sully your name by associating it with... less reputable websites.  ;)

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 09:59:45 AM »
Oddly specific any particalar reason for that train?

Don't call it a "train"! It's a locomotive. I could have chosen its more famous stablemate, No. 4472 Flying Scotsman, but that was too obvious. I have also used the names of Sansovino, Woolwinder, Book Law, Blink Bonny, Galtee More, and others. (The A1 and A3 classes were named after famous British racehorses).

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 10:06:50 AM »
The only thing more impresive than a true locomotive would be a Saturn 5 rocket...
Sheer power on both counts.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 02:03:35 PM »
Don't call it a "train"! It's a locomotive. I could have chosen its more famous stablemate, No. 4472 Flying Scotsman, but that was too obvious. I have also used the names of Sansovino, Woolwinder, Book Law, Blink Bonny, Galtee More, and others. (The A1 and A3 classes were named after famous British racehorses).

What about your previous name here, where did that come from?
Where's MagicSpeed?
Quote from: 'matt'
He's playing a game called IRL. Great graphics, *censored* gameplay.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 02:08:04 PM »
What does that matter ? ?

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 02:13:41 PM »
You know, I've been using "Allan" on so many forums for so many years I've forgotten how I came up with it  ;D

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 02:34:09 PM »
I'm 23 different people on here any given day...
So which alias are you inquiring about ? ?

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 02:52:45 PM »
I have a bunch, some of them appear as real names that I came up with such as Jim Conner etc, which is not one of my aliases, but can be used as one, and others names from cartoon network characters ;D

This alias I have here even though it looks like a real name is actually made up from my real first name... yes my name IRL is DAVE..lol... but last name is from the weather lady on the weather channel. Decided to use her last name when registering to CH back in 2006 since I was looking at the weather channel at the winter storm and needed a name, so Cheryl Lemke is where I got my partial alias here from...LOL

Also created a bunch of fake facebook accts with aliases for games that I use to play that you became stronger with the more people in your group, so the easiest cheat was to make a bunch of fake yahoo e-mail accts writing the user/pwd down on a sheet of paper, and facebook accts each registered and confirmed to those junk yahoo mail accts, and then link the facebook accts to my primary acct to become a stronger force to fight against. But I got bored with those facebook games that require so much wasted time and group participation that the fake accts will likely expire from inactivity and disappear.

Even on facebook etc my information is wrong to protect myself from identity theft. No one needs to know my real birthday. Even here at CH my birthday is something other than my actual and I have one alias birthday that is only used for when registering software etc in case I ever need to prove who I am, which I am what I am not..lol

Having the wrong birthday on Facebook has made for some laughs. I quickly found out who in my friends and family did not know my real birthday. So I'd get a bunch of posts stating HAPPY BIRTHDAY and I'd laugh at the people who should know better and obviously dont know my birthday.

I dont do anything illegal, but its best to be unknown to a certain level, especially when it doesnt matter your age, sex, location, and on and on at the places you are at online.

Also for online games etc, I use to have spy identities, such as in World of Warcraft, I had a fake alias for a character in the guild which I was officer for. Everyone thought my one character belonged to a girl named Melissa who was in the guild. I always had to decline using vent with her since my voice would definately not pass as a female and everyone knew my voice from my role as officer anyways. I used this character to interact with the guild members run in the groups etc and keep an eye on things without anyone knowing I was watching.  My reasoning for having a female toon with a female alias was because there are lots of cyber freaks in that game, so I was using my female alias as bait for these cyber freaks and kick them as soon as they try to get perverted etc. I had her name as Melissa in the guild notes and professions as well to bait anyone with wrongful intent towards our female guild members. So i guess she was sort of a honeypot character to weed out the freaks..lol...Whenever there was something bad going on, I would remain on and logon as my wifes acct on another computer and likely whatever was going on that was wrong was displayed on the 2nd computer so I could appear then as my wife and deal with the situation to defuse it or kick someone out of the guild if its that bad. *With open guild invites all sorts of characters would join and it was high maintenance for a short while. The only problem now with spy identities in World of Warcraft is that if you want to be unknown and you are REAL ID'd with someone else in the guild they can put 2 and 2 together and see your spy toon.

Also use aliases when registering online with my real address for coke rewards, and tech mailings etc. I intentionally misspell my name on ones that state that they do not share my information and then sure enough a short while later you find out that they either have an information leak someone stealing customer info or they are selling it and thinking that they would get away with it without proof linking it back to them. Coke Rewards btw has NOT violated this trust, but others have and I have caught them at it, making note as to the misspell variant in a notebook and where that variant was registered against. Altering the middle initial is the best method of indication to use and not confuse the postal carrier, some names can only be jumbled with misspellings so far before you have a mess and the postal carrier might not deliver it thinking something is wrong when they see your name on a daily basis.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 04:23:37 PM »
What about your previous name here, where did that come from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNwNDeYVvBs

And the one before that