Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Where did your online alias come from?  (Read 10452 times)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Where did your online alias come from?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 07:48:58 PM »
I'm 23 different people on here any given day...
So which alias are you inquiring about ? ?

I'm assuming now this humor fell on deaf ears...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 10:35:17 PM »
I'm assuming now this humor fell on deaf ears...

You're worse than some of the people who post here, patio. You barely waited 5 hours.
Where's MagicSpeed?
Quote from: 'matt'
He's playing a game called IRL. Great graphics, *censored* gameplay.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2013, 07:16:55 AM »
How I came up with mine is a simple explanation.  I grew up on a farm in Ohio.  Soybeans were one of the crops produced by my father.  One of my three brothers now farms where my parents lived. 

I've used soybean on a few other online accounts and I have a few other online usernames but I often just use my first initial and last name in all lower case letters. 

Actually, I'd like to see more use of real names like one of the Computer Hope members, Rob Pomeroy, does.  Assuming you're genuinely here to help others or get help, and you're not a troll or someone whose purpose is to play mind games with other forum members, what's the big deal about avoiding using your real name?  Now, if this were a political forum or some other forum focused on issues of a sensitive nature, then the use of an online alias definitely makes sense.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2013, 07:35:54 AM »
Assuming you're genuinely here to help others or get help, and you're not a troll or someone whose purpose is to play mind games with other forum members, what's the big deal about avoiding using your real name?

Well, you could delete your membership and rejoin using your real name, if you think that is such a good idea, Jim Bob. ;)

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2013, 07:43:32 AM »
Well, you could delete your membership and rejoin using your real name, if you think that is such a good idea, Jim Bob. ;)
Not at this point; don't want to start over with a new name. 

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2013, 05:42:18 PM »
Per the starting over with real name... is it possible for someone to do that here if they wanted to do so, and not start back at 0 credit and rank for their years of effort?

Its just a database after all, so it seems as though it would be simple to Find & Replace ...

[ soybean ] with [ Jim Bob ]

as an example, as long as the real name is not already in use by another Jim Bob etc, and attention to case of lowercase 's' of soybean vs capital 'S'.  ;)

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2013, 09:54:06 PM »
It used to be a feature, if I remember correctly. Nathan removed it, but I guess you could send him a PM asking for him to change it.
Where's MagicSpeed?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 01:33:17 AM »
Per the starting over with real name... is it possible for someone to do that here if they wanted to do so, and not start back at 0 credit and rank for their years of effort?

Its just a database after all, so it seems as though it would be simple to Find & Replace ...

[ soybean ] with [ Jim Bob ]

as an example, as long as the real name is not already in use by another Jim Bob etc, and attention to case of lowercase 's' of soybean vs capital 'S'.  ;)

At least one person has deleted their account, later rejoined, and asked to have their previous post count credited to them. A moderator said they will do this for a member one time only. This was using the same name I think.

As for losing the credit for "years of effort", well, $POSTCOUNT <> $VALUE_CONTRIBUTED imho.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2013, 06:42:10 AM »
BC_Programmer and BC_Programming are generally the only two screen names I use, for better or for worse. There are a few circumstances where I have selected a "throwaway" name, or simply chosen a different name, for whatever reason.

The origins are pretty simple. "BC" is supposed to stand for "BASeCamp" which is the 'label' of sorts I've been attaching to my creations. This is because I always thought attaching my name- specifically- to a piece of software was a bit pretentious- and because I couldn't know how it would develop.

The name itself- BASeCamp- (and the capitalization) was simply a reasonable word association- the capitalized parts make it unique and give the top of the word a "mountainous" look, and BAS and C are the standard File Extensions of Visual Basic and C programs respectively, which I worked in for the most part at the time. Now I work primarily in C# but BASeC#amp is just too hard to pronounce. And also looks silly.

Insomuch as Soybean's notes about the use of Real Names, while I don't think it was quite as easy as it was when I first registered here, It is really quite trivial to find my Real name through about a million different methods; The most obvious being the footer on my website; the second being links to other media such as youtube (which I switched to using my Real name for) as well as things like my MVP Profile. This also makes it completely trivial to basically get all my contact information by design (address, phone number, etc).

There is something of a perspective in Soybean's post that essentially says that- if a person isn't going to make trouble, they have nothing to hide. This makes sense- in one sense, you can see it being harder to shirk responsibility for actions and posts if you attribute them to your real name than through a psuedonym. On the other hand, we aren't required or even encouraged to provide our full name to greeter staff at grocery stores either, and I don't think the simple fact that you have no 'physical presence' on an online forum really means there is a moral obligation to attach your real name to your posts.

I think it's very much like, say, grocery stores- If you turn into a regular patron, you may very well get to know the staff- in some cases perhaps even being on a first-name basis. It's a case of familiarity- that information is not what you give out, up-front, when you start your "relationship" with another person- when you first meet somebody they might start out in your mind as "that guy with glasses that sells cars" or "that short girl with the weird laugh". If you interact more, you eventually both receive more information about the person in question and give more information about yourself. In the case of an internet forum, you are basically creating that "nickname" and using it as the established psuedonym; if you get to know or trust the members of said forum, you might reveal more information in PMs, but the fact that- unlike verbal conversations- all the information posted publically is indexed and freely available to most of the public makes it a bit more of a case of moral responsibility, IMO. If somebody was to use their Real Name for something- as an example- or even just a single nickname- like myself, tied to my real name through easily verifiable methods- Then it can be quite easy to find information that most would probably prefer not to be shared.

In some respects with the greater affluence of information available on the internet, and it being a more prominent cornerstone through things like social media, in many respects it's almost as if more and more of our conversations are simply stored for posterity- what used to be an awkward conversation or an argument involving 2 or 3 people that would be forgotten quickly within a week or so becomes stored and available for search indexes to index and retrieve, and immediately involves, say, all the people that you have "friended" on facebook- because it shows up in their feeds.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2013, 06:51:58 AM »
"BC" is supposed to stand for "BASeCamp"

Well, that just shows how wrong a person could be because I have always assumed that BC stood for "British Columbia". (You know, the province in which Kamloops is located)

« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 07:06:47 AM by Salmon Trout »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2013, 07:17:58 AM »
Well, that just shows how wrong a person could be because I have always assumed that BC stood for "British Columbia". (You know, the province in which Kamloops is located)

It is certainly a fair assumption, since I am in BC, after all, but that wasn't the original reason for it; it's just an interesting — if entirely unintentional — coincidence.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2013, 11:56:42 AM »
It is certainly a fair assumption, since I am in BC, after all, but that wasn't the original reason for it; it's just an interesting — if entirely unintentional — coincidence.
I remember you went over this a few years ago...
Where's MagicSpeed?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2013, 11:58:13 AM »
I remember you went over this a few years ago...

It comes up every once in a while...

One of a number of hits:

Quote from: Zylstra
Re: Happy birthday BC_Programmer!
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2009, 04:42:56 AM »

I'll just reply now then:

Happy Birthday, BC!

Now I have to ask, is it "Before Christ" or "British Columbia"?